DCGPOFix and any gotchas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCGPOFix and any gotchas?

If I run GCGPOFix on Server 2008 R2 DC and totally screw it up, can restoring the System State put the Default Domain Policy (which I never played with, just the idiots before me) back to it's previous stuffed up configuration?

The history is Server 2000 UPGRADE to 2003 then 2003 R2 then 2008 then 2008 R2 and the idiot(s) dicked around with the Default Domain Policy INSTEAD of leaving it a virgin and adding their own. Now I have the Secondary DC trash itself (only just discovered) and am now having issues with the Windows 7 machines I have just converted (clean install) from Windows XP.

I keep getting Group Policy Client Side Extension folder redirection was unable to apply etc where there are NO folder redirections except for the Home Folder set in AD User Objects; it won't map. No, I can't script it coz I ain't clever like Remco.

I have 50 odd users who can't access their saved files, except by using a UNC path, and I get 3 hours a week to sort it out. This setup is a shit hole!

Sorry, it's late and I am just about Googled out.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: DCGPOFix and any gotchas?

Restoring the system state should bring it back to the screwed up state if you so choose.

You could also try backing up the GPOs and then you have an easier path to restoration if need be: http://www.petri.com/backing-up-grou...cy-objects.htm
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. I don't want to bring the bloody screwed up GPOs back, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a worse mess than is already there. I just happened to make it worse by forgetting to remove the Enforced tick from the Default Domain GPO BEFORE deploying the new image. Dumb shit me. Click image for larger version

Name:	shithappens.gif
Views:	6
Size:	760 Bytes
ID:	466744
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well then the DCGPOFix should give you a nice clean start.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Well that worked well. Shame that I now have AD and GPO issues but they are for a different thread.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X