GPO for WSUS being denied because its empty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO for WSUS being denied because its empty

I have setup the GPO as per the help on the WSUS management console.

When I run a GPO results report on a client machine it is saying that the policy has been denied because it is empty. What is going wrong and how do I fix it.

Re: GPO for WSUS being denied because its empty

Perhaps you could post up a screenshot of the relevant GPO section so we can see the settings, also the GPResult
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Check the targeting/permissions. The policy is being listed as empty indicates the user or client trying to process it doesn't have read permissions...
      Rules of life:
      1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
      2. Simplicity is godliness
      3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

What and where do i change in the target policy permissions..?

The server is Windows server 2003.

See attached screenshot......that the Wsus GPO is denied >reason being its empty..
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pope; 28th June 2013, 06:32. Reason: more info

Comment

this image doens't really show enough.

WHERE is that GPO being applied, and shown as empty? is it under the "user" compoennts, or the "computer" components?

It's not unusual for a GPO to be denied as empty, if it's trying to apply to user settings and it doesn't contain any.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hey Pope, do youself a big favor and run group policy management console (gpmc) from a 2008 box or install the gpmc on your DC. Its a much better tool than the 2003 snpin.

_much_ better...

The gpmc tool will let you see the security filtering/targeting we are talking about.

Installing it on the 2003 DC is a 5-10 minute ordeal:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=21895

After the install make sure you copy the gpedit.exe which is now installed to SYSWOW64 folder to the system32 folder or you cant edit the policies.

Seriously, do it
            Last edited by userPrincipalName; 28th June 2013, 15:56. Reason: had some coffee, re-read my post, giggled a little and cleaned it up.
            Rules of life:
            1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
            2. Simplicity is godliness
            3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Working...
            X