Deploying screen savers using GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying screen savers using GPO

I have windows server 2003 domain environment with quite a number of machines.

I intend to set up a GPO in the server that will ensure all machines have the same screen saver and that they cannot change their desktop images.

The image i have is in jpg format..

Please guide me on how i can achieve this.. considering my image type and that the image type is located in a network drive...

thanks

Re: Deploying screen savers using GPO

Hi Pope,

You can't use a static image for a screen saver. You have to use a .scr file.

To configure this policy, you need to configure the following settings:

Code:
    Computer Configuration
      >Policies
        >Administrative Templates
          >System/Group Policy
    Policy						Setting
    User Group Policy loopback processing mode	Enabled  
    Mode: Merge 

User Configuration
      >Policies
        >Administratove Templates
          >Control Panel/Personalization

Policy 						Setting 
    Enable screen saver 				Enabled  
    Force specific screen saver 			Enabled  
    Screen saver executable name
    	scrnsave.scr
    Password protect the screen saver 		Enabled  
    Screen saver timeout 				Enabled  
    Number of seconds to wait to enable the screen saver 	
    	Seconds: <some_integer>

This will use the default screen saver. If you want to use a different one, you will need to name it in the policy. If the .scr cannot be found, the policy will not apply...

You might also want to include removing the screen saver tab from the control panel or your helpdesk might get calls that the feature is 'greyed out'
    Last edited by userPrincipalName; 26th June 2013, 18:22. Reason: fixed formatting
    Rules of life:
    1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
    2. Simplicity is godliness
    3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Thanks..

Is it possible to convert my jpg image in to scr format.

Since this is a domain environment with numerous machines..i think i will need to apply this gpo at the domain level ..isnt it?

Comment

No, an .scr is a specific executable. You cant convert an image file, though you could use the builtin slideshow screen saver to display images.

You can link the policy anywhere. Just keep in mind the application order of policy" LSDO":
        Local
        Site
        Domain
        OU

Policies linked later in the chain override those applied earlier. If you are satisfied with the single policy for all your customers/users, then just link it to the domain. If you have a subset of customers/users who need a more rigid policy later on, you can create a new one and scope/target it to them.
        Last edited by userPrincipalName; 2nd July 2013, 02:15.
        Rules of life:
        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
        2. Simplicity is godliness
        3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
          No, an .scr is a specific executable. You cant convert an image file, though you could use the builtin slideshow screen saver to display images.

You can link the policy anywhere. Just keep in mind the application order of policy" LDSO":
          Local
          Site
          Domain
          OU

Policies linked later in the chain override those applied earlier. If you are satisfied with the single policy for all your customers/users, then just link it to the domain. If you have a subset of customers/users who need a more rigid policy later on, you can create a new one and scope/target it to them.
          minor correction... :P

LSDO, not LDSO

(your listed order is definitely correct though
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X