Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading office 2003 to office 2010

Hi,

I need to upgrade our office 2003 to 2010 directly we have missed the boat for Office 2007. Few computers are still running office 2007 though.

So the problem is we have PC's, Laptops with different versions on OS like XP, Vista (ya really got few of these) and Windows 7.

We are buying whole lot of licences for office 2010 now.

I want to do this via GPO as we got like 250 computers.

I have not played with deploying via software distribution so looking for instructions on how to do this? google search mostly comes up with 2003 -2007. I think few things are different in 2010

Is there a document or step which i can follow?

I would need to setup everyone's outlook profile and signatures gain. How can I avoid this? Currently they are on roaming profile which is saved on DFS but I think outlook version upgrade will force them to setup outlook profile and signature again?
    Last edited by zrider; 15th October 2012, 06:33.

Re: Upgrading office 2003 to office 2010

Roughly, create an admin installation point and at least one mst file specifying the install details.
    should take you further
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=off...5Tg6bRBYPxgJAG

Not sure about the profiles, but I thought the old outlook profile was retained on an upgrade
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Roughly, create an admin installation point and at least one mst file specifying the install details.
      should take you further
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=off...5Tg6bRBYPxgJAG

Not sure about the profiles, but I thought the old outlook profile was retained on an upgrade
      Outlook profiles should copy across. They did when we done an upgrade to Outlook 2010 a little way back.

Comment

Thanks guys I made a progress on this

I have used the office MSP to deploy the 2010 followed from here

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000464.htm

but the problem is it doesn't work for me as I have 2003 installed which i need to uninstall first then run the above created GPO. If I installed on a computer without any office following instructions in the link it works like a charm. except it was still asking for activation which i need to double check again.

so I have to come up with two GPO?

1. To uninstall 2003
        2. to install 2010 in the above link.

any better way of uninstalling 2003?

Comment

Office 2010 has the ability to create an administrative install.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee656739.aspx

You create a msp file with all the settings including uninstall of 2003 office.

After that create a gpo startup script containing someting like:

\\server\Office 2010\Office Pro Plus 2010 64 NL\setup.exe" /adminfile "\\server\Office 2010\Office Pro Plus 2010 64 NL\mycreated.MSP"
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

You mean put this

\\server\Office 2010\Office Pro Plus 2010 64 NL\setup.exe" /adminfile "\\server\Office 2010\Office Pro Plus 2010 64 NL\mycreated.MSP"

in to the batch file i created or in the Config.xml?

I am still working exactly same setup as mention in

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000464.htm

I did try to create another MSP file with 2003 uninstall option enable in it but it didn't work.

Comment

I got excited for a second when I saw office 2010 on my machine for few seconds and then 5 minutes later it disappear from the list and 2003 came back.

So now after putting that

in my config file it seems its trying to uninstall 2003 and install 2010 but it fails and setup installs the 2003 again for me and not only that in the process of doing it it has corrupted some of the files now I can't open my outlook 20003 at all

how do I get the 2003 removed completely ?

Comment

Working...
              X