Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network wireless policies in server 2008

Dear sir ,
    we are using windows server 2008 standard version , and we are using cyberoam for webfiltering and application filtering ,but users are connecting to the outside wireless access points ,so i went to group policy objects and i have created a rule in network wireless policies to deny outside wireless access points ,but i can create only for windows xp policy and for the vista ,my users are using windows 7 here,please guide me on this issue.

Re: Network wireless policies in server 2008

AFAIK Windows 7 specific policies only come in at Server 2008 R2 but I see no reason the Vista policies will not apply to Win 7 also
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

so if i upgrade the server to 2008 r2 will work ? or do you have any suggestion to prevent users connecting outside wireless access points ..pls guide me.

Comment

Try creating a VISTA policy and see if it applies to Windows 7
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No ! its not working.any solutions ?

Comment

The R2 group policy is for "Windows Vista and Later Releases" so I would expect your Vista policy to work
            (I am looking in Computer Config/Policies/Windows Settings/Security/Wireless Network Policies)

Do the normal GPO troubleshooting and report back please
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

only windows vista policy is there not showing later releases....

Comment

Yes, I know -- thats because you do not have server 2008 R2 so the text will be different.

I am trying to tell you that the Vista policy should also apply to Windows 7
                If it is not applying, do some troubleshooting (e.g. RSoP)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Just install the rsat tool on your win7 workstation and run the group policy editor from there.
                  gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    Yes, I know -- thats because you do not have server 2008 R2 so the text will be different.

I am trying to tell you that the Vista policy should also apply to Windows 7
                    If it is not applying, do some troubleshooting (e.g. RSoP)
                    Thank you so much...sir..vista policy is working with win 7.if somebody is hiding the wireless SSID how can we block that...?

Comment

Can you explain what you mean a bit more clearly?
                      Policies allow you to specify connection details for visible and hidden SSIDs
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Can you explain what you mean a bit more clearly?
                        Policies allow you to specify connection details for visible and hidden SSIDs
                        we are using cyberoam here for webfilter and application filter.so users bring their own routers inside the company and accessing internet .so through group policy i blocked it,but users are clever they hide their wireless SSID name.and they are using it.is there any solution for it...?

Comment

Do they plug their router into your LAN or how do they access the internet?

Group policies can allow you to restrict to ONLY published WiFi networks, but you need to take other steps:
                          Remove permission to change WiFi settings (via Group Policy)
                          Authentication of unknown network devices
                          Disciplinary policies up to and including Summary Execution
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Working...
                          X