No announcement yet.

GPO Deletion Question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Deletion Question

Hello everyone,

I have been modifying and creating GPOs for a while now and have recently been tasked with cleaning up our current environment. This is coming for a variety of reasons but we are looking to redo our AD structure and would like to clean up / re org the policies. As an example, just upon early inspection, I found that some GPOs are setup to only affect one user account. So some odd things were done over time.

Basically I want to know if there is something specific I need to do to eliminate a GPO. Do I need to manually reverse something or can I just delete it? For example, let's say I setup a number of power saving settings and now want to get rid of that GPO. If I delete it, do the settings on the computer revert to defaults or do they retain those settings meaning I have to first modify the GPO to reverse them?

I have been doing research on this and can't seem to find anything that references this in specific. If someone knows the answer and could share, that would be great. Also, my boss is huge on KB articles so if someone knows where I can find out that would be even better.

Thank you all in advance.

Re: GPO Deletion Question

Once a policy item is set thru Group Policy, it stays that way until changed, either by reversing the settings in the same policy, or by another policy.

I think the only way you're going to get this done is the hard way, assuming the existing GPOs weren't set up as 'Best Practice'. If you don't have absolutely accurate documentation for each policy as it stands now, you're gonna have to go through that effort first.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: GPO Deletion Question

I figured something like that was going to happen as I am sure this was not done using "best practices." Sounds like I have a lot of work ahead of