Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office 2010 Administrative Templates and Restricted Browsing

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the administrative templates of Office 2010, in the section "File Open/Save Dialog Box".

Wondering if anyone has found a variable that Group Policy will accept that can be used as an entry in the Approve Locations to display only the Drives under My Computer and nothing else (different from a user to an other)?

I have turned on "Restricted Browsing" but any variable I try for Local drives or My Computer does not work.

I am trying to restrict users to only the mapped drives they may have and nothing else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    MrFrog

Re: Office 2010 Administrative Templates and Restricted Browsing

Have you considered using GPO to restrict what drives a user can see at any time? It would apply to anything which uses Windows Explorer.

You can hide any/all drives natively. Use 'Hide these drives...' and select C:\. Then use a drive map script to give them a drive letter they CAN use on the machine, mapped to a folder on C:\. But simply hiding C:\ won't be enough, because they could still create a shortcut on the desktop to show them C:, so you'd also have to set the 'Prevent access to...' in the same area, also for C:\.

You've kept them from going where you don't want them to go, but given them the ability to use only the path you've set for them. And it applies to any file actions, not just Office work.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your answer RicklesP !

Actually, local drives are already hidden and access is restricted.
      My problem is that users can chose desktop or their profile folder to save files (throw the explorer address bar).

The other way to do what I need should be to hide the address bar but I’m not able to find that parameter as well.
      I’ve already set the parameters NoNavbar, Noaddressbar, NoCommandBar, NoToolBar, NoSearchBox, NoToolBarOption and NoLinksBar to 1 in register (here: HKEY_Current_USER\software\policies\microsoft\inte rnet explorer\toolbars\restrictions)
      It’s all right for IE but address bar is still active in Windows Explorer. May you have a trick to hide it in Windows Explorer….

FYI: My TSE server is a Windows 2008 R2.

Regards,
      MrFrog

Comment

We use folder redirection for Desktop and My Docs folders with roaming profiles, and everything is on the file server so PCs can crash and the user still has their info. In your case, assuming you don't want things saved to the desktop, back to Group Policy. Lock down the desktop so nothing can be saved, and they'll have no alternative but to go to their profiles, or whatever drives are NOT hidden through the earlier lockdown.

That's the best I can offer just now. The gov't contract I'm on hasn't allowed a tech refresh up from Srvr 2003/XP until now, so we're only just getting started with 2008R2/Win7. But, the types of lockdown behavior appear to be easier to manage with more capability than before, so I think the config suggestions I've mentioned are the way to go.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X