Pulling my hair out over Windows 7 GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling my hair out over Windows 7 GPO

Note: Sorry for the cross post. I had originally posted this in the Server 2008 forums but I guess it probably belongs here more.

Guys I'm pulling my hair out, trying to get GPOs setup for some new Windows 7 machines we are going to put out on the network.

Here's what I have to work with. I've got a Windows Server 2003 level domain with a Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) Service Pack 2 FSMO role holder. This domain also hosts an Exchange Server 2010 organization so it has had the schema updates to bring it up to that level.

I've also gone through and copied over the Windows 7 "PolicyDefinitions" from a Windows 7 box to the sysvol of my Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller. As described here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/johnbaker...templates.aspx.

So as to implement a central store for the Windows 7 ADMX files.

So my big question after all this is, can I manage Windows 7 group policies from a Server 2008 domain controller? Or do I have to create a Windows 7 admin workstation and install the software for group policy management on that box and manage it from there?

At this point the two GPOs that I'm focusing on and that are hanging me up is:

1. I need to turn on Network Discovery and Advanced Sharing Settings
    Referred to http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/112792-need-gpo-disable-network-discovery.htmland
    Dave Bishop's comment here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2networking/thread/77ce43b1-616d-4c3b-a73f-7427d922ab8b

Not working currently. I have gone through and created a "company power scheme". I waited overnight and performing gpupdate /force several times, logging into multiple machines as different users who the GPO is applied to. Still no luck.
    It still appears that when you go in to the "advanced sharing settings" on the workstations that these options are set to "turn off...."
    2. Windows 7 Power Schemes
    Referred to this:http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2009/09/30/configuring-a-power-plan-with-group-policy-preferences-by-alan-burchill.aspx

Not working. I went through to create a "My Company Power Scheme" within the Preferences>Control Panel Settings>Power Options. But the only options displayed were for "Power Options (Windows XP)" and "Power Scheme (Windows XP)". Shouldn't there be a Windows Vista and later option as well?

Have you guys run into something like this? Up till now I thought I had a good handle on GPO management but this is really kicking my rear. Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-Dan

Re: Pulling my hair out over Windows 7 GPO

Deleted from Server 2008 forum

Since the new format GPOs (ADMX files) came in with Vista/Server08 there seems no particular reason not to be able to manage them there, but since you will need at least one Win7 machine as the source of the admx files, why not install the Win7 RSAT pack and manage from there?

More info here:
    http://angrytechnician.wordpress.com...-7-you-idiots/
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

About the only reason for not having a Windows 7 dedicated machine to manage from is that I don't have a spare one available. And if it isn't going to fix the issue I'd just as soon not add that to the mix.

That's what's making this scratch my head so much. I copied the new admx files from windows 7 over to the domain controller. But when I go in to modify the power options I'm only seeing XP for some reason. This happens when I use an old GPO or when I make a new GPO.

And that's why I threw this out here. Normally if I run into something like this it's something simple.

Thanks for getting back with me and fixing my misspost.

-Dan
      Attached Files

Comment

I think that you will have to have Windows 7 box installed to achieve what you want here. I just checked in my AD environment and I see the "Windows Vista and later" option when I access from my Win7 machine, but do not when I access the same Domain from the Windows 2008 server. See images attached.
        Hope that helps...
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        John

Comment

Thanks a ton man. That's what I had suspected but could never find anything concrete to back up my theory.

I've got an open license ordered for an extra copy of 7. I'll let you know what I run into. Thanks.

-Dan

Comment

no problem, glad it answered your question.
            Regards,
            John

Comment

Working...
            X