Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i create a GPO to shut down at 23:00 all computers in our company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i create a GPO to shut down at 23:00 all computers in our company?

Hello everyone,

Id like to ask can anyone assist me how do i create a GRP at a special time like 23:00 (11:00PM) to shut down all computers in the DOMAIN which are on?

Re: How do i create a GPO to shut down at 23:00 all computers in our company?

Scheduled task deployed via Group Policy Preferences?
    (or scripted and deployed via a logon/startup script)

Remember NOT to apply it to DCs, Exchange Servers and any other missions critical boxes!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hey ossian, im in fact a beginner and id like you to show me if you can step by step how do i create it and manage it please. I dont wanna shut down all the domain pcs because we have servers on the domain installed.

Comment

I think you'll find most of us here don't usually show people things "step by step" - it takes too much time, and you don't learn from it.

If you want to ask some specific questions on specific subjects, that show you've done a bit of research etc, and you're understanding the subject, you'llprobbaly find we can answer those questions..

if you need step-by-step etc, then there's two real options.. 1.. go on a trainig course, 2.hire a consultant..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Also tell us which version of Windows your DCs run as that will make a difference...
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Alright thanks for your infos,
            Im using windows server 2003 enterprice

Comment

why use group policy?
              Setup a scheduled task on your server.
              the scheduled task should:
              1. Create a list of all computer items in relevant OUs (as ossian said, avoid critical server ous, they should be seprate..)
              2. run a script, kicking off a remote shutdown for each computer,
              3. write an output, so you can see if there were problems with any particular node.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Look here for scheduled tasks via group policy:
                http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtop...?f=17&t=126856

Then investigate the shutdown command and see what switches you need

Be very careful where you apply the GPO
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

and, look here for more script samples on this site that you can use to shutdown the computer:
                  Google for: EWX_SHUTDOWN script site:forums.petri.com

These samples are in vbs and will, unlike the dos shutdown.exe commands, also work locally for regular users.
                  Of course, if you schedule the script you can choose to run it as an local admin, then you can use the shutdown.exe command as wel.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                  X