Autologon via GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autologon via GPO

I have a server which needs certain software to be running after rebooting so I created a domain service account which starts the software but is completely locked down. I then granted the account autologon rights using tweak UI so the server can reboot & the accouint logs on without any interaction.

Is there a way of doing this through GPO as I have a load of servers I need to set this up on? Currently I would have to do this on every server.

Im only running server 2003 AD environment.

Re: Autologon via GPO

Use GPO to assign a startup script to the computer, and in that script call your software, using 'runas' option to supply the credentials.

If that's not what you want, create a scheduled task for each PC. Let the scheduled task run at startup, same as the first suggestion. You can create the task for all devices remotely from one, using the 'schtasks' command. Help files for CMD LINE tools will give you more details.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks but I have to have an account logged on as it runs wallboard software for our callcentre. If the account wasnt logged on all they would see was a login box on the LCD screen on teh wall.

Comment

make it a team leader's responsibility to log the screen on.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Google search for novell autolog. Run autolog as a startup script. Autolog can also be used in a 100% windows environment.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Rather than using a third party product, why not just add the credentials for the user account to be logged in to the relevant registry key? Google will tell you where.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

As almost all the tools I am aware of store the credentials onto the registry (cleartext as well ) it makes sense to just go for the registry key as mentioned by GI.
              HKLM keys can be added via GPO and if 2008 via GP Preferences.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                As almost all the tools I am aware of store the credentials onto the registry (cleartext as well ) it makes sense to just go for the registry key as mentioned by GI.
                HKLM keys can be added via GPO and if 2008 via GP Preferences.
                Take the LogonExpert autologon (google it, I cannot post the links unfortunately ) software, it can:
                1. Encrypt credentionals by AES
                2. Be deployed via GPO or scripting
                3. Be configured and controlled remotely and/or by command line

In other words I would strongly recommend with nice tool (our company at LE for 3 years and we are happy!)

Comment

Unfortunately relying on team leaders will cause me problems as they are unreliable. We did use to rely on them in the past which is why I had to automate it.

Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll be doing this via the registry then as I want to do this via GPO so I don’t have to update all the PC's separately.

Just out of curiosity is there a GPO setting to do this on a server 2008 domain or would I have to use the reg keys again?

Comment

GPP in 2008.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Think I might wait then as we should be on a 2008 domain in the next month or so.

Comment

I was thinking, instead of having a user automatically logged on then auto launch a program so will run under the security context of the logged on user - maybe it is possible to Start the program before logon by using a scheduled task running with the credendials of (runas) this user??

If so, you can deploy scheduled tasks using GPP. Configure it to run whether the user is or is not logged on and set as trigger to run the task at startup.

Originally posted by Deland01 View Post
                        Think I might wait then as we should be on a 2008 domain in the next month or so.
                        Just one Vista SP1/Windows 7 client or Windows server 2008 computer on the network is sufficient for configuring GPP.

/Rems
                        Last edited by Rems; 22nd December 2011, 20:37.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

The wallboard software is like an image, you would have to be past the windows logon screen for the image to be visible on the screen. Running it as a service account wouldn’t be much good as you wouldn’t be able to visibly see it.

The wallboard software is a graphical list of all our telephone lines & the number of calls, missed calls, average call time etc etc.. & it wouldn’t be any good it the software was running but no one could see it which is why I need the computer account to auto log on.

Comment

Working...
                          X