• Show
Clear All

• How to DISABLE! Auto reboot after WSUS updates

Hi all,

Windows 2003 WSUS on Windows 2000 Native AD
    Clientside targetting=on
    Clients: Windows XP SP1
    Some Users Local Admin, some are not.

With the install of WSUS i noticed i CANNOT stop XP rebooting after certain updates are installed.
    The only 2 options i can choose from are:

1. Update and reboot with warning (restart now or wait for countdown)
    2. Update and warn for reboot with option to cancel.(restart later)

If i tune my GPO to give users the option to cancel the reboot, i also give option to cancel updates to install which i ofcource do not want.
    I do not want my users to be stalked with questions.
    (option 2)
    Option 1 reboots all computers automaticly which i obviously don`t want either.

What i miss here is this:
    3. autoinstall updates but wait for shutdown by user..PERIOD!

I don`t now which junior Microsoft employee made this but i think it`s a bit stupid.

anyway, is there someone that figured out how to stop Windows XP from booting, period?

Thanks for your assistance.

Re: How to DISABLE! Auto reboot after WSUS updates

I think the idea is that your supposed to reboot your machine after the update otherwise it can cause random problems.

I have found out that you can click the close X and the dialog box disappears but comes back every 30 mins.

Another idea is that you can set WSUS to download the updates to the users machine and enable the "Install updates and shutdwn PC" - I think - option so that when a user leaves for the day they simply select that option instead of shutdown and the patches will then get installed (It makes it easier by automatically selecting that option for them)

Hope this is what your after

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Thanks for your reply.
      For that to work i would have to install SP2.
      We are not ready to do that.

My environment is Windows 2000 - Windows XP ~800 nodes and I have never seen anything like this. There are several settings in the windows update template for Group Policy that target the scenerio you are looking for. My WSUS clients are all set up to download patches and install at a scheduled time with no auto reboot of logged on users enabled. This ensures that patches are downloaded and installed but the reboot only happens if someone is not logged in. I have it set up to install during off hours when very few people are working and everything goes quite well. What are your other settings in the GPO like?

We have a Citrix Farm of about 60 servers, and have our settings set up as follows:

Download and Install at 1:00 am
          Auto-reboot: Disabled
          Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications: Disabled

We use RES Powerfuse as an alternative Shell on top of Windows, so users never get to see any notofication that updates are ready... exept in one very specific circumstance: When updates have been installed, and the WU client pop ups that windows onto the screen asking for a reboot.

This specific dialog box does not seem to be covered by the policy setting "Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications" ...

Anyone know if there is a way to also hide that last, final dialog box?
          The only thing we would be happy to show users, is the box that the server is rebooting in x seconds ... but its not nessesary, cause we have our own reboot program and scedule, that takes place every night between 3 and 4am, with its own notification box.