No announcement yet.

GPO settings won't deploy to production GPO with AGPM

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO settings won't deploy to production GPO with AGPM

Hello there,

My Env. - Domain with 4 DCs, 2008R2 Prepared, AGPM 4.0 implemnted on Server 2008 R2 member server, 95% of workstations are XP SP3 with client side prefernces extensions installed.

I've created a new GPO to maximum lock several Windows 7 Clients, actually they have nothing except a shortcut to a network applicaton.

I've wanted to deploy the shortcut to the application on the desktop using the shortcut prefernces so first i've done it in the same GPO under the user configuration that worked OK, Then i moved those settings to the computer configuration and added another shortcut definition tht will place the same shortcut to the start menu - that didn't work i think because the restrictions on the client - so i've deleted that shortcut prefernces definition from the GPO.

My problem begun when i've tried to add another shortcut to desktop, but with no success. the event log on the client side says: "The computer <shortcut name> preference item in the <GPO NAME> {8E2D97A3-D3BA-46CC-8F52-0C0269B90EB9}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.' This error was suppressed

When i've checked my GPO settings under "change control" the new settings are displayed (the two shortcuts i need), but when i check the GPO settings stright from the "Group Policy Objects" that are the production GPOs as far as i know, they are wrong and shows my old shortcuts defenitions.

No matter what i've tried, the new settings arent deployed to the production alltough the "Deploy" process finishes without any problem.

A. Any advice how to resolve this issue ?

B. I want to assign mapped drives as well using the preferences option - but for that i understand that i need to move the shortcuts assign back from the computer configuration to the user configuration - Is that right ?

C. If i'll move the shortcuts defenitions to the User configuration, how can i place those shortcuts to anyone who will log to that computer, not only to the users that are placed in the OU where the GPO is applied.

Thank you for any comment and help.