Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gpo order precedence

Hi,

I have a "USA" OU and I've linked a gpo to remove all mapped drives using a script. The gpo has a filter so that it does not get applied to some users in a group (exception list). This works fine.

Now under the USA OU I have a NEW YORK OU with a group policy that creates a network drive (N:\).

When someone who is not in the exeption list and resides in the NEW YORK OU logs on, the N:\ drive is not Mapped\created. Why? (my understanding is that the inner OU's precedence is higher).

Only the user configuration in both GPOs have been configured. Server os is win2k8 and desktops are win xp. No loopback (computer policy), blocking nor Disabling gpo has been used.

Thank you for your input!

Re: Gpo order precedence

correct. the new york GP's should be processed last,

first thing is to run a GPresult on the workstation and check that the gp is actually being applied.

If yes then, You may need to try running them synchronously (i vaguely remember a similar issue we had a few years ago)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...73(WS.10).aspx

Comment

Re: Gpo order precedence

Originally posted by sassaidi View Post
      Hi,

I have a "USA" OU and I've linked a gpo to remove all mapped drives using a script. The gpo has a filter so that it does not get applied to some users in a group (exception list). This works fine.

Now under the USA OU I have a NEW YORK OU with a group policy that creates a network drive (N:\).

When someone who is not in the exeption list and resides in the NEW YORK OU logs on, the N:\ drive is not Mapped\created. Why? (my understanding is that the inner OU's precedence is higher).

Only the user configuration in both GPOs have been configured. Server os is win2k8 and desktops are win xp. No loopback (computer policy), blocking nor Disabling gpo has been used.

Thank you for your input!
      Have you enforced a GPO higher up? Are the properties of the AD user account setting a drive letter?

I tend to use Group Policy preferences now to map drives and use the replace mode feature. You can target the mapped drives as well through filtering within the Preference settings. You just need to use GPMC from a Windows 7 or Windows 2008/R2 member server and ensure the Xp clienst are SP3 and have Client Side Extensions update installed.

Comment

Working...
      X