Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallpaper GPO

Guys I need some help setting up a wallpaper GPO

In a nutshell what’s the best way of doing this?

I want to apply this to all Desktop PC's & Laptops. The laptops are often remote so I thought about doing a script which copies the wallpaper locally when they log on (maybe in the Startup bit of the GPO), then set the wallpaper path to read locally.

We currently have wallpaper configured on our Citrix environment & I noticed that the wallpaper reads from a UNC path. After the research I did apparently this is bad as it will be hammering the network as the file will be open by 200 different users.

The main question I had really was about the loopback GPO. If I use loopback to apply wallpaper settings to the computer & not the user, how does it work exactly.

Do I have to enable loopback in the same GPO as the wallpaper settings, or If I had a separate GPO called loopback attached to the same OU as the one with the wallpaper is in, would this do a loop back on all the GPO's on the OU?

Re: Wallpaper GPO

It would need to be enabled with the GPO that you wish to apply settings from.

For example, in your case, the Wallpaper settings are currently set in the User section of the node. If you wish the settings to remain as they are and apply to users of certain computers, you would enable loopback policy processing in merge mode in the current GPO and target this at the relevant OU(s) that contains the computers.

What AD do you have? Have you considered Windows Preferences to copy files over to the local PC?

Comment

We run a 2003 version of AD

Comment

Another question for you.

If I enable the loopback and want to apply this to all the computers in an OU would I still user the "Authenticated Users" group on the GPO filtering?

When loopback is enabled how would I restrict the GPO being applied by the filtering? do you filter by machine of user?

Comment

Authenticated user include all users and computers so that you can use for filtering.

Loopback is applying user policy's to machines so any sec filtering needs to be made against machines or machine groups.

Comment

If you manage Group Policy from a Windows 7 or Windows 2008 or 2008 R2 system, you can make use of Group Policy preferences.

Group Policy preferences allows you to filter via a range of criteria. I tend to use AD security groups and the objects within a specific OU but there are many others.

If you wish to filter the GPO itself, you could look into denying systems Read and Apply, placing systems in a sub-OU and applying the GPO at that level, so leaving the GPO permissions as they are and/or removing the authenticated users group and filtering more granularly.

Comment

Were stuck on a 2003 domain at present but Im am pushing to get 2008 installed.

Comment

You don't need to have 2008 or 2008 R2 DCs to use Windows Preferences. A 2008 member server or Windows 7 PC with RSAT tools installed and GPMC feature enabled through Programs and features is all you will need. Client wise, Windows XP with SP3 Cients onwards are supported. I also tend to ensure the Client Side extensions update is also installed on the Windows XP workstation.

Comment

I found it easier to do it by Registry, especially with the laptops that get taken home.

Using HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\ActiveDesktop

Using Wallpaper and Wallpaper Style

I just put the picture on C:\ point the reg entry to the picture, reboot, and done.
                  Last edited by Managor; 16th November 2011, 21:07.
                  "To err is human but to really **** things up requires a computer user..."

"The path to enlightenment is /user/bin/enlightenment"

A+ CE

Comment

Working...
                  X