GPO Preference to push out registry keys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Preference to push out registry keys

I am having some issues with a GPO Preference I created to push out some registry keys to my Windows XP SP3 clients. My domain is Windows 2003 function level (moving to 2008 soon enough) and I am making the GPO from my Windows 2008 R2 DC.

What is the best option to chose for the "Action"? If I place
    create, will it always create a new key?

I dont know if the key I am attempting to add/modify has been previously added on various workstations manually with a different value (trying to increase cache on a certain application) or if it exists at all (making me think Update might be my best Action).

What would be the best way to get this key distributed? Also if I am doing multiple keys, how can I troubleshoot if one key is not applied?
    Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: GPO Preference to push out registry keys

Create will create the key but I am not sure how it behaves if it exists already
    Replace will delete, then create, so may be the one for you

A test OU will help you troubleshoot!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Create will create the key but I am not sure how it behaves if it exists already
      Replace will delete, then create, so may be the one for you

A test OU will help you troubleshoot!
      I think I want to use the replace option in my scenario since I dont know if the key exists already with a different value.

MS definition Replace. Delete and recreate an item on the targeted computer. The result is that Group Policy preferences replace all existing settings and files associated with the preference item.

I have a test OU, but I want to find out why the wont apply

Comment

I presume you are running RSoP to check policy application?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I presume you are running RSoP to check policy application?
          That going to work for registry keys I am replacing via Preferences?

Comment

It will check if the policy is being applied -- first point of GPO troubleshooting
            Should tell you the settings too
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I tend to always use the replace option as mentioned. The only issue I have sometimes had with Windows XP is to do with CSEs. SP3 should support it by default but I have sometimes had to apply the Client Side Extensions update even though SP3 was installed.

Comment

It will check if the policy is being applied -- first point of GPO troubleshooting
                Should tell you the settings too
                I couldnt see the registry settings in RSoP, I thought you only see Policy items (I am attempting to apply Preferences)

I used gpresult to see that my actual GPO is applied

Comment

I think I figured it out, it was the order in which I was applying the multiple items

Comment

Working...
                  X