Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a new folder(with the new user's username) on a shared server

Hello

I have been trying to set up the policy in such a way that when a new user is being created in a Domain, a folder with his/her username is created in the shared server (not the one which contains AD). For example consider a username Sam has been added to Domain, then a folder with folder name "Sam".

I have tried all the methods but couldn't get it done. Please explain what needs to be done IF we can do it.

Re: How to create a new folder(with the new user's username) on a shared server

I've always found, when creating a new user in ADUC, if I go to the "profile" tab and the "home drive" section, if I create a network path there, it will automatically create the corresponding folder...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

And this folder that is created should only allow them access?

As mentioned, you can consifure a Home Drive and use the UNC path to the share. For example; \\servername\sharename$\%username%

The folder then should automatically get created.

However, you need to make sure that the root folder for share has the correct NTFS permissions to ensure that all users cannot access other fodlers within the share.

Comment

I mean how to create a folder automatically when a new user is created and name the folder as the user name using group policy preferences

Comment

Originally posted by theou huios View Post
          using group policy preferences
          What have you tried and, in what way the results so far were not as expected?

User Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Folders =>

new folder / update / path \\server\share\%username% / tab: Common ->
          run in logged-on user's security context / Apply once and do not reapply (because the folder is created on a central share).

User must have share and ntfs permissions on the target shared folder to create and use the new folder.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
          X