Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about GPO processing and design

Hi all,

I have a question about GPO processing and design i am hoping someone can answer. The company i work for have 4 OU's. one for each office across the country and each OU contain sub ou's for users, computers etc.

We have a GPO that looks after setting desktop wallpaper and prevent users from changing wallpaper and prevent changing theme. Now i have a group of 5 people in one of the office OU's that need to be able to change their wall paper and stop the screensaver (screen saver setting is also in same GPO mentioned above).

I was hoping that there is something i can do to allow them to change all of it and so far the only solution i can think of is to create new several GPO's. one for each of the functions i currently have in one GPO. my thinking is then i can deny them the GPO's that prevent users from making changes to wallpaper and screensaver so at least they still get the same settings, but they can choose to chose to change it when needed.

I hope this makes sense, if not i will try to give more info.

Regards
    Rippie

Re: Question about GPO processing and design

You shouldn't need to create multiple GPO's. Just create one with the settings set to the opposite of the parent GPO (or set the settings to not configured), link that GPO to the OU where these users are and leave the parent GPO alone. You don't need to deny the Apply Group Policy permission or use Security Filtering on the parent GPO as the child GPO will be the last one applied and will therefore "control" the settings. Use Security Filtering on the child GPO so that it only applies to a group of which these 5 users are members.

Comment

Re: Question about GPO processing and design

Thank you very much for the answer. most helpful !!

Have you got any idea to this issue?

i have a gpo that set the desktop wallpaper (User Config > Policies > Administrative Templates > Desktop > Desktop Wallpaper)

but now users cant change it the wallpaper.

If i create another GPO that set the same setting to not configured it will even out the wallpaper and give people the default, but at least they can change it.

The 2 GPO's is linked to same testing OU and the order of the GPO's is allow change desktop wallpaper is number 1 then second is the setting that set the wallpaper

Basically i am trying to set a wallpaper, but let a group of people allowed to change it, but still keep the GPO one as default.

Regards
      Rippie

Comment

Working...
      X