Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying prinetrs with GPO - works only with default domain policies

Hello all,

I am deploying printers with GPO - I installed print server (Windows 2008 R2 STD), installed all necessary drivers and deployed the printer with default domain policy - user policy to be exact. The deployment works correctly, it installs ok and the drivers are ok too.

Now we have 3 floors, each floor has its own printers so I have to create individual policies for every floor and deploy correct printers. I created three separate policies, linked each to the users OU, added correct users to the policy scope and...it does not work.

I am currently at a total loss - I have tried to manipulate the policy link, added auth. users to the scope, added users with admin privileges and nothing...any help on this topic?

Re: Deploying prinetrs with GPO - works only with default domain policies

does gpresult give you any hints as to why it doesn't apply ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hm - for those specific users I have tried the gpresult it gives me back:

Code:
      INFO: The user "some_user_name" does not have RSOP data.
      If I try with admin username, it gives back some huge amount of data...

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMaster View Post
        Hm - for those specific users I have tried the gpresult it gives me back:

Code:
        INFO: The user "some_user_name" does not have RSOP data.
        If I try with admin username, it gives back some huge amount of data...
        Can the user logged on to one of these desktops browse to... \\domain.local\sysvol\domain.local\Policies
        Does the policy apply when one of these users logon to a desktop that belong to a users that does not has this problem? Then.. could it be a system issue rather than a user specific issue?

/Rems
        Last edited by Rems; 2nd September 2011, 19:25.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

I tried this scenario, using two different usernames, the System was Windows 7 x86: logged on with normal user, all policies applied (except the automatic printers install), user can browse to sysvol/policies, all settings made through GPO have been loaded and checked, computer is working OK - it is newly installed (they all are, standardization project); after that logged on with admin user account, all the same policies were applied correctly, all settings done through GPO were applied - except the automatic printer installation, the user can also browse to the sysvol/policies folder.

As soon as I deploy printer to default domain policy, the printer gets installed normally, without any issues – regardless of the user logged on..

The procedure I used to create policy in GPO editor: selected the domain, added new blank policy, renamed it, added the link to OU Users, removed authenticated users from the scope, manually added users that apply to the policy, edited it’s settings – deploy the printer and saved it...no luck there yet…

Comment

Can you confirm it is not the users container, but a special OU you have created for your users?

Also you should not need to remove authenticated users -- the policy will automatically apply to users in your OU only -- try reversing that, and seeing if it works
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hmm - then perhaps I should unlink it from OU Users (the general Users OU, created by domain installation not some specific OU) and just simply add users - the thing is, the users get changed a lot, they are moving from one floor to another constantly … that is why I manually added the users to the scope..

Comment

Everyone, repeat after me:
                There is no such thing as a Users OU. There is a users CONTAINER -- check the icon in ADUC -- which represents all the users not in an OU, but really they are still at the domain. That explains why things are not working.

Create an OU for each floor
                Put the correct users in
                Link your policies to the correct OU (don't do any filtering)
                If users move, just change them from OU to OU
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ah darn! I always do this thing...I do it by the book...almost and then I forget about some details and I try to achieve the impossible! Thank you for reminding me! So now I have created new OU's BUT - I can not moove the users around - they are already in specific OU; I then created security groups and added them to aditional OU...so gues what - it is still not working! Users, that are specifically in new OU get the printer deployed though...I will try to play some more - if not, I will bind the printers to computer connetions and be done with it...computers can be moved around....

Comment

Can you implement "Printer Location"
                    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...89(WS.10).aspx

IIRC it requires a lot of organisation of subnets, but when it works, it works VERY well
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Very interesting idea - did not think of that... I will try with that - I hope that it won't take too much hours to bill our client

Comment

Working...
                      X