No announcement yet.

Prevent right click on all programs button

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent right click on all programs button

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum, please be gentle.

I have a challenge where I have locked down and redirected a start menu via GPO. I have disabled the right click on the Start button, all items in the start menu except for the “All Programs” button itself. All other aspects of the GPO do seem to be working as expected.
    I cannot find a way to prevent this right click. This is an issue as it gives access to explore the all programs folder. From there the users can navigate to any folder on the machine and also other machines on their local subnet. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the machine use, all users need to be in the local Administrators group to permit the logoff of a user that may not be available to log themselves off. I have looked at this with the aid of several search engines and the only post I found was to remove the file association between explorer and folders. This would not be suitable as the user has folders on the desktop that would need to be opened.
    Client is Win2K3 SP2
    AD Server is 2K8 Ad with DNS

Re: Prevent right click on all programs button

How about getting a stock of these :

Alternatively, check post #2 here for a possible solution, although you may have tried it already:
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Prevent right click on all programs button

Hi Ossain,
      Thanks for the reply, chuckled for about an hour with this one.
      I have that value set already. I still can right click on the “All Programs” button. I Can’t right click anywhere else.

Last edited by h22; 19th August 2011, 09:18.