Software Distribution via GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Distribution via GPO

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to automating software distributions with GPO?

Iíve been through this article (see link below) but after you create & configure the GPO with your software details how does the machine actually pick the install up, do I need to write a batch file or something?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

Re: Software Distribution via GPO

The install should be an MSI file -- either native to the application or something created with a program like WinstallLE (free, IIRC)
    You can also deploy something called a .ZAP file via GPO but really it is designed for MSIs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Iíve got an MSI file which I have edited the parameters on using Microsoft Orca. I now want to push it out to some Citrix servers

I set a GPO up & configured it with the MSI location (unc path)

The GPO is set on the OU which my test box is in

Do I need to just sit & waait for the package to install or do I need some kinf of script when the server starts up to check the GPO I made?

Comment

A restart of the machine usually will do the trick, unless you assigned the package to users, rather than machines, in which case logging off/on usually does it.

Comment

Are you publishing or assigning it? (and in which GP section?)
          From experience, 2 reboots always do the trick, less may do so
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Just restarted it now, is this like WSUS (Windows updates) which take a while to install?

Comment

The GPO is

Computer Config> Software Settings> Software Instillation

Deployment State: Assigned

Just out of curiosity Iím I best doing an Assigned install or a published install?

The app Iím installing is a customised version of WinZip which has a load of features locked down & removed.

If I use GPO to install will I also have to use GPO to remove it?

Comment

Just out of curiosity Iím I best doing an Assigned install or a published install?
                I think it depends on your situation, here's a link explaining the differences:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

If I use GPO to install will I also have to use GPO to remove it?
                You can remove it using add/remove, but if the GPO is still in place, then it will be reinstalled upon a restart, the link above has more info on your options, (2 thrids the way down the page).

Comment

Guys,

Im still having no luck with this. I ran a gpresult on the server and the GPO I created is listed on the computer config so its being picked up by the server but so software isnt being installed.

Ive done x2 reboots and even left it over night.

I made another GPO using the Assigned method and put this in the Computer Config section of the GPO.

The path to the MSI is:

\\sh-nas2\SoftDist\orca\Orca.Msi

I am able to access the above share and run the installer from the target server fine.

Ive also created another GPO with a different MSI file and created this in the User configuration section with no luck what so ever.

Do I need to enable a setting somewhere for Software instillation?

Comment

After pulling all my hair out I finally found this site:

http://www.tech-faq.com/deploying-so...up-policy.html

which goes through each step in detail.

The problem I had was I didnít have the "Domain Computers" & "Authenticated Users" AD security groups on the GPO's permissions. They need to be on there & set to Read Only.

I have Domain Computers & Authenticated Users on the AD OU where I put the GPO & also on the Software Instillation package I made

The GPResult threw me off course as it said that the GPO I mad e had been applied so I thought the permissions must be right.

Comment

Well done, and thanks for reporting back

Rep++
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Threes nothing worse than reading some one elseís post who had the exact same problem as you have and then the post just goes dead.

At this point I usually think "they've obviously fixed it then" which is so annoying.

Comment

Working...
                        X