Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Templates in GPOs

Hi,

I was going to create custom security template from a server that has SQL installed on it, and in the template allow a user group to be able to start/stop/pause SQL services.

If i add that template to a GPO linked to an OU with a whole bunch of servers of different kinds (SQL and NonSQL) will that cause problems?

Am i better off creating a separate OU just for SQL servers and applying the GPO there?

Cheers for any advice,

Simon

Re: Security Templates in GPOs

You shouldnt have any issues, but bear in mind "non SQL" servers may have Express on them, so users could stop that
    Best (IMHO) to have a separate OU
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah fair enough. I'm just trying to limit my OU structure coz i hate having to document things.

If i ever knew that I'd be writing so much documentation in a Sys Admin job, I never would've gone into IT. lol

(its not quite that bad.. i just whinging! )

Comment

documentation is one of the most important parts of the job.

otherwise, you spend an entire week, trying to rebuild servers for a client, when you have no idea what's actually installed on them, or how they are configured...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          documentation is one of the most important parts of the job.

otherwise, you spend an entire week, trying to rebuild servers for a client, when you have no idea what's actually installed on them, or how they are configured...
          You're right of course. And its really not that bad.. i'm actually finding that if i like the task i'm doing - i dont mind documenting it and take pride in writing good doco.

Some tasks do suck though and its hard not to resent having to document them. Particularly if someone is asking you to reinvent the wheel or asking you to write doco that should've been written by someone when they originally installed a server/piece of software etc.

I hate it when they go... "oh.. you know our sharepoint system on the network... can you write an install SOP/Build Instruction for that.. I just realised we dont have one"...

like... WTF??....

The joys of taking over a network that wasnt documented and was hastily cobbled together. Its a good learniing experience though.

Comment

Working...
          X