Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Create a Local User and More

Hi guys,

I followed a guide *I can't seem to post URL's yet* to create a local user and insert them into the local administrator group.

When I finished the GP I checked on the target machine and I see that the GP has been successfully applied, but no user has been created

In the guide it says to make the local user account under User Configuration, but I decided to try it under the Computer Config, but that still didn't work. I also tried to just create a local user as the first step but running gpresult /v -only tells me that the GP has been applied, but the user still wasn't created

I've been trying to crack this for a little while now, and my deadline is soon coming up! I don't know whether it's worth trying to go down the GP route, or a script.

It would be great if any of you guys could give me some help

Cheers,
    Last edited by SP.Help; 29th June 2011, 11:48.

Re: Trying to Create a Local User and More

Not sure how you created it with there not being a link to the article you used. What OS are you trying to create this user account on? What OS does your active directory sit on?

Comment

Oh of course sorry!

The OS the GP is created on is W2k3 and the OS the account is trying to be created on is XP

The guide: blog.korteksolutions.com/how-to-create-local-accounts-via-group-policy

Comment

The accounts are being created using Group Policy Preferences -- a Server 2008 feature
        Live link: (You need a few posts to use them, so be patient)
        http://blog.korteksolutions.com/how-...-group-policy/
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are your XP client machines at SP3? They need to be able to process Client Side Extensions (CSEs).

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=3628

Comment

And you need 2008 DCs (cant remember if you need 2008 FL too)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, you need to use Group Policy Management within RSAT from a Windows 7 and/or windows 2008/R2 server for most, if not all preferences, to be visible and configurable. Most preferences, if not all, will work with the Forest and Domain level still being at 2003 mode. You don't even need to have ADPREPed the domain for 2008 (R2) AD.

Best practice is also to ensure ADMX and ADML files are centrally located for GPMC.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/arc...ral-store.aspx
              Last edited by Virtual; 29th June 2011, 15:15.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Will give these ideas a shot and see what happens!

Comment

Working...
                X