Group Policy and WSUS question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy and WSUS question.

I recently installed WSUS and everything is working great but I just ran into an issue. I am setting up a laptop for an offsite user that will be logging into a cached domain login. The problem is this laptop will be offsite and I want it to get updates from online but group policy has configured the machine to get updates from \\servername\wsus. I believe I need to create a container and both the PC and user in it but Im not really sure how to go about it. Any detailed information would be greatly appreciated.

thx.
    Last edited by raymann; 24th June 2011, 22:31.

Re: Group Policy and WSUS question.

where abouts is your gpo policy? is it part of the default domain policy?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, it is part of the default domain policy.

Comment

What OS does the laptop have?
        Vista and above give you the option of checking direct from Microsoft

Alternatively you could have a reg file to change the settings and run that (once) when you go off the domain -- adapt the script here:
        http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/pages/...igure-WUA.aspx
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The laptop is Win7. I have opened Active Directory and created a new OU and added the laptop and user to the new OU. I then righted clicked the new OU and selected the Group Policy tab and then open. I then right clicked the new OU and selected create and link GPO here. I have logged into the laptop as the user I put into the new OU and it is still configured to receive updates from the WSUS. Any thoughts ??

Comment

You should have the option "click here to get updates directly from Microsoft" (or similar text)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do have the option to check online for updates from Microsoft online but I do not want the user to to have to do that..I want the laptop to auto download the updates or let the user define his own schedule and settings. I would like the new GPO to be applied to this user and/or machine and ignore the default group policy and basically get updates from MS online like a new laptop would without using a cached domain login.

Comment

ok its working now...I just blocked inheritance in new GPO and now the user can manage own setting for updates.

Comment

Working...
                X