Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group policy not working

Hello Everyone,

Glad I found this site and hopefully get useful information from here. I recently installed the GPMC console on my win server 2003 OS and trying to create a simple GP(Group policy) but it just won't work when I test with a specific user.

I've got an OU named "Test" and a GPO(group policy) linked to this OU, I have edited the GPO under User configuration>Administrative Templates>Start Menu and Taskbar>"Remove and prevent access to the Shut down command" - Enabled.

In Active Directory I have a group namely "No Shutdown for User" and added a user to this group, after doing that I placed this group in the "Test" OU.

Now, when I logon with this user I can still see the Shutdown option in start menu. As far as I know I had enabled to remove and prevent access to the shutdown command. I tried running GPUPDATE /force command as well but no luck Can someone please advise on the correct procedure for setting this up. I want the Group policy applied in this specific manner where I use groups which consist of users rather than assigning it to users directly.
    Also if anyone can refer to a video tutorial online that will be helpful in understanding and using GPO's.

Thanks much!
    KR
    (Using Windows Server 2003 with XP SP2 clients)

Re: Group policy not working

Run RSoP and confirm the policy is being applied
    Note GPs ignore group membership -- the USER will need to go into the OU
    (except for filtering by security group, but the user will still need to fall in scope of the GPO)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As Ossian stated, Group Policy (despite the name) is applied to users and computers, not groups. The user object needs to be moved into the Test OU in order for the GPO to apply to the user.

If you'd rather not move the user to the OU then you can link the GPO to the domain and use GPO security filtering to have it apply only to members of specific groups.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        As Ossian stated, Group Policy (despite the name) is applied to users and computers, not groups. The user object needs to be moved into the Test OU in order for the GPO to apply to the user.

If you'd rather not move the user to the OU then you can link the GPO to the domain and use GPO security filtering to have it apply only to members of specific groups.
        Thanks for this info guys, now that I know I've deleted the group and moved the user to the OU to which this GP is linked, but even then I still don't see the GP in effect with this user(I have restarted the machine also ran gpupdate /force) Is there anything I need to do in addition to just creating an OU and linking the GP to this OU and moving the user to this OU? Please advise...

Thanks again
        KR

Comment

Run RSoP and check the policy is being applied
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian and the rest for your very helpful tips, it did the job....

Comment

Working...
            X