Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMI Filtering

Hello,

I'm looking for some help on applying WMI filtering in our GPMC.

What I want to do is deny several computers (that are joined to the domain) from applying certain policies. I have found out this can be accomplished using WMI filters.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know some decent guides on the internet that can help me out?

Google doesn't really help.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: WMI Filtering

what have you tried so far?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Since I posted my first thread I have tried learning the basics of WMI Filtering (which seems to be pretty tough. Things like depolying software (flash, java, ...)

I haven't really discovered on how I can deny policies (altought it sounds pretty simple).

Comment

down the bottom of the policy page somewhere, is "wmi filtering" - you can set your filters in here..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, I got that part. I just don't understand what filter/policy to use to deny a policy to a specified OU.

I'll keep googling

Comment

WMI filtering, AFAIK, can't determine what OU an account is in. You wouldn't use a WMI filter to exclude certain computers from a GPO. To do this, you would only target that GPO at computers / users you want it to apply to by linking to the appropriate OU and enabling it for the appropriate groups (instead of Authenticated Users).
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Our policies are already applied using security groups from our active directory and not authenticated users.

Our users login to terminal servers, that's when the policies are applied.
              But some users also have a domain laptop. When they log in to their laptop, the policies are also applied.

Here's my problem with a bit more details.
              http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=54498

Comment

put the laptops in a seperate OU, and make sure the GPO isn't applied to that OU.

Comment

Hang on... are we talking about computer settings or user settings here? It's not at all clear. Having read your latest update, I am now under the impression that you are referring to applying different sets of user settings depending on which computer a user logs into - their desktop or the TS. Is this correct?
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm talking about user settings here.

Example: We have a user named user1.

Whenever user1 logs on to the TS he should get the necessary drives mapped, internet security, ...

But whenever the same user1 logs in into his laptop (which is joined to the domain) he should not get those drives, etc...

The biggest problem is that the users' personal folders and files (desktop, images, documents,...) are also on our file server and are mapped when he logs on.
                    So whenever the user logs in at home on the laptop he cannot access his own files because they are on the fileserver.

The goal is to have 2 seperate desktops. 1 laptop + 1 TS.

Kinda hard to explain

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
                      I'm talking about user settings here.

Example: We have a user named user1.

Whenever user1 logs on to the TS he should get the necessary drives mapped, internet security, ...

But whenever the same user1 logs in into his laptop (which is joined to the domain) he should not get those drives, etc...

The biggest problem is that the users' personal folders and files (desktop, images, documents,...) are also on our file server and are mapped when he logs on.
                      So whenever the user logs in at home on the laptop he cannot access his own files because they are on the fileserver.

The goal is to have 2 seperate desktops. 1 laptop + 1 TS.

Kinda hard to explain
                      Use WMI-filters only when necessary, they increase startup and logon time.
                      An other solution here could be using Loopback processing of Group Policy.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

You put me in the right direction!

It works now.
                        There's a computer policy called: Only allow local user profiles and Prevent Roaming Profile changes from propagating to the server.

It's in Computer Configuration - Policies - Administrative Templates - System/User Profiles.

In combination with the loopback policy my problem is fixed.

Many many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X