Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPO - Change file association, programmatic access..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO - Change file association, programmatic access..

Hi there,

We have recently done a server install, only to be told after the fact that a number of settings need to be set for all users by the software company. If they'd told us that earlier we'd have made sure they were in the default profile but its too late for that.

Setup is SBS 2008 with Server 2008 R2 acting as an exclusive Remote Desktop Services server. Office on the RDS server is 2003 as the company doesn't have a volume license for 2007 or 2010.

What we need to do now is deploy some settings automatically as follows (Office is 2003):

1) Grant access to the "Trust VB project Model" in Excel
    2) Change Macro Security to Low
    3) Allow Outlook programmatic access to the address book and for sending emails so users aren't continually prompted to allow access
    4) Change the default language and regional options (this one was my fault, I didn't notice that the Smart Start CD built with US instead of UK)
    5) Remove that damned powershell icon from the quick launch in Remote Desktop Services

I've had that many issues to deal with about the software that I've made no headway on these yet. My first guess for the Office related stuff would be the administrative templates that can be loaded which I'll check tomorrow.

Cheers.

Re: GPO - Change file association, programmatic access..

Well seen as noone was any the wiser than me I spend a little time this morning before going back to site.

1) and 2) can be done using the Outlook administrative templates for GPO.
    3) cannot and the option is completely greyed out anyway. Turns out the software people had a special mode that they can switch on that bypasses this. Shame the guy I spoke to yesterday knew as little about it as me.
    4) I should have been able to do this through group policy preferences but it didn't work and I didn't have time to troubleshoot - ended up doing this one manually.
    5) Didn't have time to research this one so again, done manually. I also removed the Server Manager icon from the quick launch too but there has to be an easier way..

Comment

I actually have solutions for all of your stated problems. Do you still need them ?
      If you're done already it must not have been to many users ?

Seems point 5 might be the best to answer since new users will still have those icons
      Last edited by Silver23; 3rd May 2011, 12:05.
      Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

Thanks for the reply, most of them are sorted now. 1/2 I figured out, 3 is now redundant.

4 shouldn't be a problem in the future because we have all the system defaults set properly. However if you do have a solution it would be worth posting up so other people can see it if they need it and I can put it with my repository of useful things in case it I need it in the future

5, it would be nice to find a script or policy that automates the removal of or prevents the creation of those icons. We have another network install that may be coming up where it is going to be relevant. I saw a few options on google but none of them seemed to work and I didn't have time to debug it all.

Comment

I searched yesterday for the setting I used on a terminal 2008 R2 server. I couldnt find it back. but I do remember how I found it the last time.

Last time I did it like this:
          Create a new user with a clean profile. Look for the key Taskband. in the user profile. It should be located in
          HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\Taskband (from memory)
          unfortunately I do not remember which value sets the taskbar, I do remember it was a binary value.

If you make the changes to the taskbar(quicklaunch portion where powershell and servermanager is located) to the way you would like it to be. The binary key will change and you could use that as a default setting.

Use group policy preferences to set this key, but also select apply once and dont reapply. All users will have this key set once and you a new default for users. But they will still be able to put other quicklaunch icons there.

If you need more explanation, just ask.

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

I'll have a look for that when I'm back in the office. With regards to the Outlook programmatic access, someone has just asked the same question about Sharepoint and searching for sharepoint and the issue gave the answer. Searching for the issue on its own didn't. Typical.

For reference, anyone trying to disable the Outlook programmatic warning can do it here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...5-eb8c1277002f

Comment

Hi should that option for whatever reason not work correctly(I hear something about office 2007 policy for programmatic access not working) I have a solution for that as well.

I dont post all my solutions cause I have yet to find a good program to document them in. So I have to get my solutions from memory or in this case from a live GPO. And Im lazy, so if you dont need it I wont look it up =-)

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X