X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO's & AD Site without Domain Controller

Here is the question in multiple parts:

Background info:
    I have a single forest with a parent \ child domain structure. I have defined multiple sites per domain. Each Domain has a hub site and defined Preferred Bridghead servers. I also have created some sites that do not contain any domain controllers. All sites have a specified replicating partner site and replication interval time set. I also have in each domain an OU that contains the workstations on a per site location name.

First Question:
    How does a workstation process GPO's with my current setup? I think that it should pick up the gpo information from the site that I have a inter-site connector associated with.

Second Question:
    Is my current setup benefical to distributing these GPO's?

Re: GPO's & AD Site without Domain Controller

> I think that it should pick up the gpo information from the site that I have a inter-site connector associated with.

Correct. It picks the closest DC in terms of site link costs - if your DC's are all W2003. On W2000, the result is pretty much random when a computer lives in a site without a DC.

> Is my current setup benefical to distributing these GPO's?

Hmm. Maybe I misunderstood the question, but GPO's only live on DC's. Any site without a DC is meaningless for GPO distribution.

In general, I don't think this setup is useful. Sites without DC's are only useful for localized site-aware services such as DFS or SMS 2003. In all other cases, it is better (more clear and reliable) to add the subnets of remote locations to the closest AD site that has a DC.

Comment

Working...
    X