GPO windows 7 Print Driver

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO windows 7 Print Driver

our printer server is windows 2003 r2
    we have a domain controller running on 2008 r2
    i'm trying to find information on how to make a group policy to add printers at startup.

we have a GPO that works well for XP but it does not work on windows 7 machines. so if creating a new GPO work solve anything. Also i looked at the old GPO that works for XP machines and i see that it uses a pushprinterconnection.exe file and inside that has the vbs of all the printers available. can someone walk me through getting this resolved.

thanks in advance.

Re: GPO windows 7 Print Driver

For this task you can use Group Policy Preferences. Pushprinterconnections.exe was used for XP. When creating a User Policy you can assign a network printer(share) to a specific OU who will recieve this printer. Pretty easy now in Windows 2008 R2.

The only thing is that this computer must have the printer driver already available if you wish to install it automatically when the user logs into active directory. You can do this with WDS or SCCM.

I hope this was helpful!

Chears, Marcel

Re: GPO windows 7 Print Driver

Also, Group policy preference works for XP clients as well. But be sure this update has been installed on the client machines(xp)KB943729
      Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>