Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I share out a colour printer as black and white?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I share out a colour printer as black and white?

I have setup our colour printer on our Win2k3 print server twice. One of the printers has colour printing enabled (set via Printing Preferences) and the other has black & white printing only enabled (set via Printing Preferences).

I have setup GP Preferences to map the B&W printer to specific users, but when the printer is installed on the workstations, it is set to colour printing!?

I manually setup the printer on my test workstation by browsing the print server, right-clicking the printer and selecting the Connect option. Same thing.

So how can I setup the colour printer as a shared network "black & white" printer on my Win7 workstations? Thanks.

Edit: The printer is a Sharp MX3100N.
    Last edited by JDMils; 31st March 2011, 00:51.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How do I share out a colour printer as black and white?

I figured out how to set the colour printer to black & white- Printer Properties\Advanced\Printing Defaults- this is where you change the default properties for all users of the printer.

Now, my problem is that users with the mapped printer can go into the Preferences options and change the printer settings to Colour and print colour!?

I cannot seem to find a way to stop this. Does anyone have any pointers?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    |

Comment

restrict perms on the printer object
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I suspect you cannot as permissions on printers are not flexible enough -- they will need to e.g. print double sided
        Instead, rely on users not going beyond the first page, and the queue name, and make it clear some dire punishment will happen if they do!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i'm pretty sure you CAN do this.. if you setup the printer on the server, then create two shares
          configure the default on each, then configure them so they can ONLY be printed to, and nothing can be changed..

(and set the BW as default by GPO, obviously :P)
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, but what if users need to specify a tray, or duplex, or 2-in-one....
            I can see a massive number of printer queues developing

Having said that, software like Print Manager Plus appears to be able to do it: http://www.softwareshelf.com/product...tures-grid.htm
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Fk letting users decide what they want.. they should get what we tell them :P

Comment

Yeah, I have had this setup before as Tehcamel said, Share two print queues and disable colour printing one one of them in the Printing defaults.
                It doesn't however always work as it should, it depends on the drivers.
                I've had instances on the past when we had to obtain new drivers from the manifacturer to get it working.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Tom is correct. When the printer is installed on the users' workstation, they have access to the printer properties even with PRINT security setup on the server's printer object and thus they can change the print to colour.

Ideally I need two drivers for each printer object but can't find a b&w printer driver for the printer.

I'll keep looking, I suppose! Thanks guys.
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  |

Comment

There may be a "lowest common denominator" driver that will give minimal functionality
                    It used to be LaserJet III for PCL or Apple LaserWriter for PS -- no chance either of those would have colour, but you would lose "one or two" other useful features too.

Did you look at the 3rd party option, or at user re-education (with a blunt instrument) if they dare to change to colour!
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

What about using the settings in the printer itself. I did this with a Panasonic (I think, it was 3+ years ago) photocopier where you could add Groups and specify what print options they had.

You could install something like Paper Cut (they have a 40 day trial version) and use that to restrict/stop certain Users from using the colour facilities by giving them a ZERO credit for colour printing. OZ company just down the Freeway, round the corner and up the road from you in Glen Waverley. It will also allow you to keep track of ALL your printing and pinpoint areas of wastage. Not only helps the Planet but also reduces company costs. This software actually pays for itself with the savings you make. Users hate it!

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way associated with this company in any shape or form.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X