Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deployment of Network (RJ45) printer through GP

Hi,
    I have a network printer (actually a brother USB printer hooked up to a little linksys wireless print server). I would like to configure GP to deploy this printer but have been unable to do so. I have only seen information on deploying a printer that is already shared by another computer in the domain. All the methods I have seen require a 'printer path' to be specified which is part of the domain. This is a stand alone printer on the network and is not part of any domain or workgroup. Anyone know how to deal with this? Thanks

Re: Deployment of Network (RJ45) printer through GP

You will need to share the printer on your server.

The only way around this is to install the printer locally on each workstation, which can't natively be done using Group Policy.

Why can you not install the printer on the/a server?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What about using a script?
      http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/how...ters_tcpip.htm
      Br,
      csaba
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        You will need to share the printer on your server.

The only way around this is to install the printer locally on each workstation, which can't natively be done using Group Policy.

Why can you not install the printer on the/a server?
        Thanks for the reply. I wanted to avoid sharing the printer on a server because I assumed this created significant overhead. Rather then communicating with the server directly don't we end up with a middle man.

Comment

Originally posted by netxt View Post
          What about using a script?
          Br,
          csaba
          Thanks for the response. This looks like a possible solution, but I was hoping there would be an easier way. We would be dealing with the second (customized LPR) case. I am fairly new to active directory and have not done anything like this yet. After applying the registry settings for the printer the proper driver would then need installed. How would you go about that? Also if something changes can a similiar process be used to change the settings (eg. IP address) or delete the printer?

Comment

How many users do you have? What about the load?
            Br,
            Csaba
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Sharing will add a small overhead, although if your servers are so overloaded that they couldn't handle this then you've got major problems.

As you can see, it saves a great deal of hassle compared to installing the printer locally on each machine. Add to that the fact that you get central control of who can print (and to which printers if you have multiple), you have a single place to begin troubleshooting when problems occur, you can set default settings such as printing in mono on a colour printer to save costs and you can audit/log printing.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

netxt and gforceindustries,
                Thanks for the continued help. We are a small organization ~10 users. The primary reason I am concerned about the overhead is that most of our systems (including our DC) are desktop systems that have been redeployed. While the amount of traffic is small because of the number of users, and the system meets the minumum requirements I wanted to avoid introducing extra load.

If you believe the load is fairly negligable I can setup the printer on the DC on share it.

I do find myself a little surprised that there isn't more support for standalone network printers as they are getting more common.

Comment

The server can't deploy a printer that it doesn't know about. You have to install and share it on the server. Then go to print manager. Find the printer in the list and right click on it and click on deploy with gpo. If the server is 64 bit and the desktops are 32 bit you can add the 32 bit driver when you share it. To lower the overhead when you share the printer there is a checkbox that says to spool the print jobs on the desktops. After all this is done go to command prompt on each desktop and and type gpupdate /force /boot

Comment

There is plenty of support for networked printers. However once your company is big enough to warrant centrally deploying them, then you're big enough to install the printer on a server and share it.

This is the way Microsoft expect it to be done.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by kb1234 View Post
                      netxt and gforceindustries,
                      Thanks for the continued help. We are a small organization ~10 users. The primary reason I am concerned about the overhead is that most of our systems (including our DC) are desktop systems that have been redeployed. While the amount of traffic is small because of the number of users, and the system meets the minumum requirements I wanted to avoid introducing extra load.

If you believe the load is fairly negligable I can setup the printer on the DC on share it.

I do find myself a little surprised that there isn't more support for standalone network printers as they are getting more common.
                      What overheads are you talking about? There are certain ways you can deploy a printer using a an Ip port, set it up and share it on a print server and the clients will get the shared drivers automatically. Since you have <10 clients you can use an xp machine as a print server if you wish.
                      Less overhead and centrilised management with this as mentioned.
                      Or you can opt to install the drivers on each machine with a script.
                      ...and there is No such thing I am aware of "standalone network printer". There is plenty of support for network and standalone printers, you just need to know what to look for.
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                        What overheads are you talking about?
                        I am not entirely sure how the sharing of printers is actually implemented under the hood. I assumed if I share a printer on computer A and print from computer B that the data goes from B to A to the printer. Is this incorrect?

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                        there is No such thing I am aware of "standalone network printer"
                        I used the phrase to refer to a printer with an RJ45 jack that is available to every sytem on the network. They don't need to be 'hosted' or 'owned' by a particular computer.

Comment

Correct -- the spool file goes from the client, to the print server, to the printer. This generally does not cause performance problems (exception if everyone is constantly printing several documents a second) and solves lots of other problems such as two jobs hitting the printer at the same moment and getting scrambled.

As others have said, there is no reason NOT to deploy a print server and many advantages from doing so. Connecting each PC individually to the printer will cause more problems than it solves.
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

All,
                            Thanks for the input. This has been informative. We will look into deploying a print server.

Comment

Originally posted by kb1234
                              most of our systems (including our DC) are desktop systems
                              Why do you not have a real/actual/proper Server? It has multiple advantages over a Desktop with a Server Operating System installed on it.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X