Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gpedit.msc problem?

Hi,

Currently running Windows Server 2003, with active directory, and I have set some group policies.
    now on a Windows XP machine, not in the domain, doing a gpedit.msc.. this shows all policies on the machine.
    If I join the machine to the domain, and then go gpedit.msc on the client, majority of the policies disappear...

example:
    machine in domain:
    gpedit.msc,
    Inside User Configuration
    theres, Software Settings, Windows Settings and Administrative Templates
    Inside Administrative Templates
    theres, Windows Components
    Inside Windows Components
    theres Windows Media Player
    Inside Windows Media Plater
    Theres, User Interface, Playback and Networking

Thats all there is inside the Admin Template.

This has been happening for a while, and I can't seem to know why it's happening. Will someone have any idea whats happening???
    I have a policy set to delete roaming profiles when logging off... profiles do not get deleted, so I am wondering is that caused because the policies have disappeared on the client?

Many thanks
    Pete

Re: Gpedit.msc problem?

I suggest you use RSoP to track all your domain GPOs and see what is (and isnt) being applied
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Plawlor,

Lets start with the basics. First off, are you creating a new gp or modifying an existing one? Are you sure the policy is active and linked to the correct OU?

Comment

@Ossian, okay, I will try use that soon and see what the results are.

@falbanese, Modifying existing ones 'Default Domain Policy' and is linked on the top level of the domain structure, so it applies to all the OU's within. And it is active.

Comment

RSoP reports, that policies are working fine and show no errors, but with a user within the OU that has the "delete roaming profile" policy, does not show up and it is enabled within the GPO.

But this still doesn't explain why I don't see ALL the 'configured' and 'not-configured' policies on the client.

If I only want to set up a policy I usually just do it on the client, but I won't see the specific policy listed on the local computer... the only way to set the policy is by doing it by the domain group policy....

Comment

XP Clients have a single "local policy", overridden by domain and ou policies

In a domain environment you should never be configuring group policies at the client, only via active directory
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

is this new?

because i used to be able to set policies locally on the machine, and why should the domain disable 99% of the policies from being viewed, and 1% of them are viewable? and changable on the local computer.

But the question now, why doesn't the delete the roaming profile policy, show on the RSoP for a user within that OU and with a GPO that has the policy enabled.

Comment

Well,

since 'Delete Cached Roaming Profile After Logoff' is ENABLED on GPO and the OU where the accounts are.

The policy still doesn't work. but yet the "add the administrators security group to roaming user profile" which is in the same location of the "delete cached copies of roaming profiles" GPO does work.
                do you think that specific policies maybe corrupted...

but I have found the registry 'DeleteRoamingCache' which has to be done on each machine (over 100, but thankfully there is are remote scripts can be run). Which works perfectly fine.

but heres a image of the gpedit.msc with adminstrative templates fully expanded...

link: http://staffwww.dcs.shef.ac.uk/peopl...gpeditless.png
                Last edited by plawlor; 14th March 2011, 14:03.

Comment

Moved to GPO forum where it should be.

Comment

I have sorted all problems now.

The hidden polices not listed because the templates some how get removed from the templates.. so right click admin trmplates - add/remove and add system back in.

and for the 'delete cached copied of roaming profiles' now works because since I have created a OU with the users in it with the GPO assigned to this OU.

But since the computers were not in the same OU the policy won't get applied. as I thought it would but for some reason that went straight through my head.

but I have created a new OU and moved the computers into the OU with using the same GPO
                    and bingo, it all works.

which makes sense now.

Comment

Working...
                    X