Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folder redirection server upgrade

HI All

has anyone done a server upgrade of their server?

i have a win2003 32bit server currently running

we are running it in basic redirection mode

now we want to upgrade to a new VM win 2008 r2 64bit

how can we do this? will we have to setup the file permissions and then xcopy -o everything over to the new server? then change GPO?

any ideas would be great

thanks!

Re: folder redirection server upgrade

At the moment you redirect my documents to the uns path of the old server?
    If you xcopy all of it, and any of your users make use of off-line files you're in trouble. It's is better to have both the server active at the same time, and let the group policy move the files and folders. It's a group policy setting to migrate the folders to the new location.
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

how would i do that? just change the name of the server in gpo ?

these are the GPO settings
      Attached Files

Comment

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/hyge/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Change the name of the server, and enable the check box "Move the contents of Documents to the new location.

Be sure to test before you move all users. Test with users with and without offline files. Are users roaming between computers? Also test that.
        Attached Files
        gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

hey gerth

thanks for that

we are not using offline files/roaming (running a TS) nothing is saved to the local TS

sorry just to clarify, the documents are on the old server, once i choose that option it will move it to the new server??

thanks again gerth

Comment

I use the file server migration toolkit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/us/fsmt.aspx

it migrates the folders and permissions, then we re point the bits that need to be pointed like home dir path for the profile.
            Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
            I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
            MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
            X