Hide Drive in My Computer but make visible in Explorer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hide Drive in My Computer but make visible in Explorer

Am using GPO through Server 2008 and would like to hide the C drive from users when they go into My Computer but if I was to right click on the Start button and click Explore I would like the C drive to be visible.

How do I apply that setting?

Re: Hide Drive in My Computer but make visible in Explorer

I don't believe it's possible to do that using native Group Policy, since the same behnd the scenes component is used to enumerate the available drives regardless of how you list them.

I'm curious as to why you would want to do this though?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      I don't believe it's possible to do that using native Group Policy, since the same behnd the scenes component is used to enumerate the available drives regardless of how you list them.

I'm curious as to why you would want to do this though?
      Thought as much...

Am just trying to hide it from users but allow us admins to get in by using explorer when we have to do trouble shooting... Oh well...

Comment

Create two GPOs then, one applied to users which hides the drives and one applied to administrators which doesn't.

You don't really need the GPO that doesn't hide the drives since this is the default setting.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X