Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't change local admin pw due to policy...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't change local admin pw due to policy...

wtf? i've never had policy affect the local admin before (believe me, i've tried. well, in xp, anyways). this is a brand new install of w7 pro on a 2003 domain.

is this something new in w7?

btw, the policy that's messing with me is the minimum pw age, which is set to 2 days. so, i can just wait until tomorrow to change it. still, i'd like to know what's going on...

thx!
    Last edited by Wired; 21st January 2011, 09:58. Reason: removed irrelevant links

Re: can't change local admin pw due to policy...

so the domain policy is preventing you from changing the local system administrator account because mindays has not been reached ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

that is correct.

Comment

Hi,

if you logon to the computer locally instead of domain and then try to change the password. Does it allow you to change it.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
          Hi,

if you logon to the computer locally instead of domain and then try to change the password. Does it allow you to change it.
          nope, that's exactly the problem i'm having. it makes no sense...
          Last edited by Wired; 21st January 2011, 09:58. Reason: removed links

Comment

Hi,

Can you check if you have any local policy that is affecting it coz once you logon to locally on the machine domain policies won't even apply.
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

Comment

Please don't post irrelevant links in your posts.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Can you check if you have any local policy that is affecting it coz once you logon to locally on the machine domain policies won't even apply.
                funny, i didn't think to check local policy. and, by golly, there it is. it's still weird, though, because i thought policy only applied to domain users, not local users, especially the admin. or, did i just fail gpo 101?
                Last edited by Wired; 22nd January 2011, 06:27. Reason: removed link

Comment

It's always a learning exp. There are are local group policy as well.
                  Thanks & Regards
                  v-2nas

Comment

It's always a learning exp. There are are local group policy as well.
                    yes, it is. and yes, there are. but does domain policy write to local policy? and if so, isn't the local admin exempt?

for example, changes i make on the dc in gpmc shouldn't be editable on the client via gpedit, right? i mean, that's always been my experience. i think the deciding factor is: if the the policy is not configured in gpmc, then you CAN edit it in gpedit. if it is defined in gpmc, then it is locked out of gpedit. am i wrong on this?

and, regardless of my knowledge - or lack thereof - of policy, i've just never seen the local admin get shut down out of anything by domain policy. another example...

i don't log in as the local admin on client boxes very often. but, when i do, i get the STUPID STUPID STUPID desktop cleanup wizard. (really, what was ms thinking with that one?) so, i disabled that via policy, pushing it out to all clients. as i'm sure you can guess, that is a domain policy that does not affect the local admin. so, i made that policy change for nothing. that was - and is - on wxp.

again, it all boils down to: domain policy didn't affect the local admin in that case (2003/wxp) but does in this case (2003/w7). and that takes me back to my original question: does w7 handle policy different than wxp, when both are under 2003?

anywho, time for dinner. thx to everyone for walking through this with me!

Comment

Working...
                    X