Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disable IE Pop-Up Blocker via GPO - Server 2008R2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable IE Pop-Up Blocker via GPO - Server 2008R2?

Hi all,

I am in a school setting. Student logins need to have the IE Pop-Up Blocker DISABLED because a lot of the online apps we use need pop-ups to appear. I am trying to do this via GPO from my DC.

I already have a GPO that deletes IE browser history upon exit, and that is applied only to this group of users. It works perfectly fine. So I am trying to add the disabled pop-up blocker setting right to this policy. I cannot for the life of me get it to work! What am I doing wrong?

So far, I've tried...

GP Management Editor --> Computer Configuration -->Administrative Templates: Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from local machine. --> Windows Components --> Internet Explorer --> Internet Control Panel --> Security Page --> Internet Zone --> Setting "Use Pop-Up Blocker" to DISABLED.

Didn't work.

I then tried disabling the same exact setting, but this time under "User Configuration", not "Computer Configuration". Still didn't work.

I even ran "gpupdate /force" from a client PC to see if that would help. Still no luck.

Am I changing the wrong settings? In the wrong place? Help!

Thanks!

Chris

PS. I'd also like to disable the user's ability to change the pop-up blocker back on...

Re: Disable IE Pop-Up Blocker via GPO - Server 2008R2?

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

what are your clients xp/vista/win7 ?
      Thanks & Regards
      v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
      Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
      Independent IT Consultant and Architect
      Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

All are XP Pro SP3. This coming summer, they are all being migrated to 7 Pro.

Comment

Hi,

Can you create a new GPO and link to your test ou and add a user account and find out if it works for you

user config > administrative templates > windows component > internet explorer > Turn off pop up management... set the policy to enable
          Thanks & Regards
          v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
          Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
          Independent IT Consultant and Architect
          Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Hi v-2!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it. It turns out that this is not necessary after all, so I've put it on the backburner. I would like to do it, but being a dept. of one, I have higher priorities. I'll get back to you whenever I get around to this. Thanks for all your help!

Chris

Comment

Have the Client Side Extensions been installed on the XP machines so they can accept a GPO from Server 2008 R2?
              If not, this can be done via WSUS or through a script. I think I can dig out the script if you require it.
              11 was a racehorse.
              22 was 12
              1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
              ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Hi Biggles,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have that update even though my WSUS is not yet operational. I added that update when I built the PCs on rollout.

Chris

Comment

Have you tried to force a GPO Update on a single machine and see what the results were?
                  Had a question about RSOP but I just lost it. Hope that gives you a clue. Sorry.
                  11 was a racehorse.
                  22 was 12
                  1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
                  ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

Hi Biggles,

Yeah, at the time I did run a gpupdate /force on the clients to no avail. This turned out to be unnecessary (disabling the pop-up blocker), so for now it's on the back burner. Thanks for the reply!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X