Removing the Address bar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the Address bar

Is there a way to remove the address bars in IE and Explorer using group policy?

If not can they be removed through the registry?

Thanks

Re: Removing the Address bar

GPO:

User Configuation> Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet
    Explorer> IE Toolbars

This will disable both IE and Explorer.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

First off thanks for the reply.

I already have that policy running which effectively prevents the users from turning the toolbars on or off by disabling access to them(greying them out).

I however want to remove the address bar, (and probably the standard buttons bar also now that Im thinking of it) not just prevent users from enabling or disabling it, which is already being done as stated.

Now I know that I could turn off the IE toolbar policy, manually go to the machines, remove the toolbar, then renenable the policy, but that will take way to long as this policy will effect many machines.

I was figuring there probably was no way to do this in group policy being as I have spent some time searching. If I'm missing something what is it?

Is there a registry value I can delete or edit?

Comment

I think this is what you're looking for when used in conjunction with the GPO.
        See .reg file contents that I've included.

Edit:

Just tested it in Win2000 Pro and it does remove the toolbars from Explorer and IE. It only removes them so you need the GPO to keep the users from reenabling them from View->Toolbars menu.

Originally posted by http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823057

Restriction values in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions registry key
        The following toolbar restriction values reside in the following registry key:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Int ernet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions

When the following menu has been restricted by using the appropriate registry DWORD value, users may receive the following error message:

The operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

NoToolbarOptions: The user receives the error message when they try to click any command on the View menu except Customize and Lock the Toolbars.

The following menus are removed when the appropriate registry DWORD value is added:

NoToolBar: Removes the toolbar. However you can add standard buttons on the View Toolbar menu. To completely enable this setting, you must enable the NoToolbarOptions DWORD value.
        NoAddressBar: Removes the Address bar.
        NoLinksBar: Removes the Link bar. The user receives the following error message when they try to click Links on the Toolbar menu:
        The operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.
        Code:
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]
        "NoToolBar"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions]
        "NoToolBar"=dword:00000001
        Last edited by ahinson; 19th October 2005, 22:11. Reason: Added test information.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X