Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create "Delete IE History" Policy only for certain users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create "Delete IE History" Policy only for certain users?

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm no GPO expert. Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory domain at work...

I need to create a Group Policy that will delete the IE history upon exit, but I need it to only apply to certain users, not every domain user. Can this be done, and if so, could you please tell me how?

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Create "Delete IE History" Policy only for certain users?

Preferred option:
    Move the users to an OU (or multiple OUs) and apply the policy at OU level

Alternative option:
    Use security filtering to apply the policy to a group containing the users
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tom!

Sorry, but I guess my question actually relates to...

"apply the policy at OU level"
      and
      "apply the policy to a group containing the users "
      I don't know HOW to do those things in GP Management.

Thanks!

Chris

** EDIT ** Nevermind! I figured out your Alternative Option. Thanks! One final question. Is this Alternative Option somehow less desirable a way to do it? Could you elaborate for my own education, please?
      Last edited by WorldBuilder; 21st November 2010, 23:09.

Comment

Policies are linked to a particular level in the organisational unit hierarchy -- you can (in Group Policy Management Console) right click on an OU and "create and link" a policy, so it applied only to that OU and those below it.

You then put the users you want the policy to apply to (and only those users) in the OU

The security option is less desirable because every time someone logs on, the permissions have to be checked to see if they apply to that user, then the GP is applied, so making things marginally slower.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a million for the explanations and advice, Tom!

Comment

Working...
          X