Creating Locked Down Lab Profile need suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Locked Down Lab Profile need suggestions

Hi, I'm fairly new to managing Group policy on our College network. I'm trying to create a profile that will go into our Labs. It basically has to be locked down pretty tight. I am emplementing this profile to Windows 7, which we will be deploying to all machines next summer.

My current thoughts fall along these lines.
    1. I am redirecting the start menu and the Desktop folders to a server.
    a. I am removing any native icons or shortcuts that Windows puts on the
    desktop or in the start menu.
    b. I will put into the folders the shortcuts that I want the users to have
    access to.

Currently, I can't get this setup to work quite right. The Folder Redirection seems to work fine. I can put a file into the desktop folder from the server, and it shows up on the users desktop. I want to stop the user from being able to remove the icon. One thing I tried was setting the permissions on the server so that the user can't delete the shortcuts. I have tried several different security settings, but they can still do it. The server itself is Windows server 2008.

Any help with this particular problem or any resources you know of that can help me building this particular profile would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Creating Locked Down Lab Profile need suggestions

Use mandatory profiles so changes the students make (and they WILL make them) do not survive logging off.
    Also look at Group Policy Preferences to push icons etc. out to your clients
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'll keep mandatory profiles under advisement.

One problem is that these profiles will stay there all day and will not be logged off.

Also, I have actually seen this work. I used to do desktop support for a company that did this for a large number of it's employees. I wish now that I had privy to the information. But hindsight is 20/20. One thing I liked about is was that I could add a shortcut on the fly to one folder on the network and it would update every single desktop with this profile immediately.
      Last edited by wyltk75; 29th October 2010, 18:00.

Comment

Sounds like redirected desktops to me...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going for, but they won't quite work the way i'm hoping.

Comment

Working...
          X