Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updating ADMX

Hi,

I need to turn on Internet Explorer Enterprise Mode.

Found couple of good articles related to config and use of it. So I started with opening GPO console.

1. under needed GPO - Internet Explorer I didn't find Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Use the Enterprise Mode IE website list

2. I found the KB containing needed setting (should be latest available) (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ldownloads_all

This page provides the Group Policy Administrative Template files for Internet Explorer
    • Details Version:

File Name:
      KB2841134\KB2841134.zip

Date Published:
      8/9/2014

File Size:
      1.9 MB
    3. Before installing inetres.admx following instructions below I found an existing inetres.admx file under c:\Windows\PolicyDefinition

THE QUESTION:
    1. is there any chance that after UPDATING (in instructions below it says "update") previous inetres.admx I will loose some old settings in ADMX template?
    Is update mean "merging" previous and a new one or it is just replacement?
    2. how can I check the version of existing admx vs a new one that I want to bring into the picture?
    Thanks.

INSTALLATION instructions coming with Internet Explorer ADMX
    Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Windows Server 2008 SP2:
        1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download.
        2. Save the ZIP to a directory on your computer.
        3. From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.admx file:
          • copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\inetres.admx %SYSTEMROOT%\PolicyDefinitions\inetres.admx
        4. From an elevated command prompt, use the following command to update the inetres.adml file for the targeted languages:
          • copy /y %WINDIR%\KB2841134\<LanguageCode>\inetres.adml %SYSTEMROOT%\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\<LanguageCode>\inetres.adml
          • In the previous command, replace <LanguageCode> with one of the supported languages, using the xx-XX value.
            • cs-CZ: Czech - Czech Republic
            • da-DK: Danish - Denmark
            • de-DE: German - Germany
            • el-GR: Greek - Greece
            • en-US: English - United States
            • es-ES: Spanish - Spain

Last edited by mla; 10th August 2016, 02:55.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Originally posted by mla View Post
    Hi,

THE QUESTION:
    1. is there any chance that after UPDATING (in instructions below it says "update") previous inetres.admx I will loose some old settings in ADMX template?
    Is update mean "merging" previous and a new one or it is just replacement?

That is my question as well...by updating the ADMX files in the central store will it overwrite the existing ADMX files? Will I loose all my previous GPO settings?

Comment

IIRC the ADMX files are the templates used to apply the GPOs so no existing settings will be changed
      If you are unsure, airgap a DC and try it out, then roll back if needed
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Confirmed--the ADMX files are the templates that show you what settings are available. The settings you make are stored eslewhere. There are no 'merges' performed when updating an ADMX; the previous version is overwritten. The problem you may run into is that some settings which are set from prior templates may not be recognized under the new templates. Especially with IE, some settings that worked under IE8/9 are quite a bit different under IE10/11. The settings you make are still there and applied if still applicable to the software (such as IE), but if the ADMX doesn't contain that specific setting, then GPMC can't display it as you were used to seeing it. You'll see a section called 'Extra Settings' with any bits that GPMC doesn't know how display which are shown as reg key settings with no other simple explanation.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X