Public System Security Woes...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public System Security Woes...

Hi there, i'm currently running a large number of public terminals running on windows XP PRO and i've been having problems with people being able to access into c:\ drive via a loophole in the CLASSIC start menu. Try it if you are not sure what i'm trying to mean. 3rd party programs to deny access mostly merely hide the Root Drive in "My Computer" but not deny access through this method.

1. Click on Start Menu
    2. DOUBLE click on programs.
    3. Explorer should open with c:\Documents And Settings\xxx\Start Menu\Programs

xxx = User name.

I've seen some places deny access to explorer via this method but have been looking for a solution for ages in vain. If someone here could help i'll really be appreciative.

Thank You!!!

Re: Public System Security Woes...

Hi!

Have you tried the following?
    Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
    Prevent access to drives from My Computer

Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of selected drives. If you enable this setting, users can browse the directory structure of the selected drives in My Computer or Windows Explorer, but they cannot open folders and access the contents. Also, they cannot use the Run dialog box or the Map Network Drive dialog box to view the directories on these drives.

To use this setting, select a drive or combination of drives from the drop-down list. To allow access to all drive directories, disable this setting or select the Do not restrict drives option from the drop-down list. Note: The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My Computer, but if users double-click the icons, a message appears explaining that a setting prevents the action. Also, this setting does not prevent users from using programs to access local and network drives. And, it does not prevent them from using the Disk Management snap-in to view and change drive characteristics. Also, see the Hide these specified drives in My Computer setting.
    Source: gpedit.msc

HTH

Comment

Thanks Vadikan! The fix works, but is there any other way that i can roll it out on large numbers of clients other than individually going into GPE and changing the value, say something like a registry fix instead? the thing has to be also easily removed by the admin (like having a registry tweak) for regular maintenance and installations?

Comment

Originally posted by KayChin
        Thanks Vadikan! The fix works
        You're welcome
        but is there any other way that i can roll it out on large numbers of clients other than individually going into GPE and changing the value, say something like a registry fix instead? the thing has to be also easily removed by the admin (like having a registry tweak) for regular maintenance and installations?
        Pretty much all GP settings can be configured via the registry. Go ahead and download Group Policy Settings Reference from MS. You'll find all the info in the file, and let CTRL+F be with you =)

Comment

Are these all standalone PCs or part of a domain based network (2000 or 2003) - if so use group policies from the start up / log in. If not there is a paperon the internet called something like 'securing kiosk pcs' which I think may have a few ideas for you.
          If you do havea domain, and are unsure how to roll out policies, please post back
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikemcsharry
            Are these all standalone PCs or part of a domain based network (2000 or 2003) - if so use group policies from the start up / log in. If not there is a paperon the internet called something like 'securing kiosk pcs' which I think may have a few ideas for you.
            If you do havea domain, and are unsure how to roll out policies, please post back
            Mike

Hi mike, thanks for replying. The PCs are actually for a LAN Gaming centre. Network does not run on a domain. machines are all Win XP with a gigabit backbone and Windows XP Game Server with Gigabit. Where can i find the paper?

Comment

try this ..

http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/...804964,00.html

Quick recommendation - make a new user (with a completely different name) with full admin rights, and ensure that the new user can NOT access the files / folders specified.

Also - read CAREFULLY!!
              good luck

Comment

Anyway thank you all for your feedback. Solution Found!

Comment

Working...
                X