Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deploy network printer to PC with specific IP range and set default printer for user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploy network printer to PC with specific IP range and set default printer for user

Okay, title's a bit of a mouthful I know. Here's what I want to do.

I have one domain and multiple physical sites (not mirrored in AD). Each physical site has a unique subnet. At one of these sites I have a group of network printers. Depending on the user's team they have a different default printer. A number of these users travel to other sites. When there I don't want them to map their usual printers.

In other words:
    I have a series of network printers I want to deploy via group policy to any computer that meets a certain IP address range.
    I want to specify which printer is a user's deault printer based on their security group membership.

At the moment I can do one or the other, but not both.

The computer's OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit.
    The primary domain server is Windows Server 2008 R2 and I've added admx policy template files to the server.
    The domain functional level is Windows Server 2003

So, I create a GPO for a printer and deploy the printer to it. I've tried deploying per user and per computer, (makes no difference).

I can use User Configuration preferences to create a GPO with the action delete to remove the printer if the computer's IP range doesn't match the range I specify. I can also create a GPO with the action update to set the default printer based on the user's security group membership.

If I try to combine the two settings the printer no longer deletes when the IP address of the computer is out of range.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: Deploy network printer to PC with specific IP range and set default printer for u

It's possible I have worked out a fix for this.

Deployed printer to GPO, per computer.
    In the GPO under User Configuration >> Preferences >> Control Panel Settings >> Printers added the shared printer 3 times.

1 - Create, with item level targeting for a collection that includes all the relevant subnets (needed because I published at a per computer level)
    2 - Update, with item level targeting for user membership of a relevant security group.
    3 - Delete, with item level targeting for a collection that DOES NOT include all the relevant subnets (same list used in item 1)

The order of these entries is important. this also allows a user to delete a printer from their devices and printers (although it will re-appear next time the GPO is processed). If I publish the network printer per user I get a different behaviour which includes blocking the user from deleting the printer from their devices.

Don't know yet if I can include all my printers for the site into one GPO and I also don't know which processes faster so still looking for help in choosing best practice for processing the GPO's.

Comment

Re: Deploy network printer to PC with specific IP range and set default printer for u

Glad you have a solution, but can you explain (in your first post) "one domain and 3 sites, not mirrored in AD"

Do you mean you have not set up the sites, or that you have 3 separate domains, all with the same name? (or is it something else entirely)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I sort of have a solution. I have two ongoing problems:

1. It's still mapping printers when users connect via a VPN connection, even though the VPN conneciton means they have an IP address outside of the IP ranges in which the printers should map.

2. Also, when a computer turns on without a domain connection it shows it's previous list of printers in a greyed out (unavailable) status. When the user logs in, the printers come online, even if they shouldn't because they're at a (physical) site with an IP range that means those printers should not be available. gpupdate fixes the problem but it's not a clean enough solution.

I have one domain in AD. Because I do not have a domain controller at all of our (physical) sites I have not set up Sites within AD and so I can't assign an IP range to a Site (in AD) and apply a group policy to a (n AD) Site.

Umm, did that make it any clearer?

Comment

Absolutely!

Note you should still add your subnets in ADSS and put them into the one sute
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X