Recycle Bin vs Folder Redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycle Bin vs Folder Redirection

Our domain is Server 2K3 R2 SP2 with XP Pro SP 3 workstations. Roaming profiles for everyone, and My Docs/Desktop/App Data folders all directed in real time for authenticated users but not admins. Users are blocked by Policy from seeing their local C: drives, and user logins are prevented if their profiles are unavailable for any reason. All Redirect folder perms are set for the users to have exclusive access by default.

One user has freaked out because she deleted 2 files from her desktop, then later the same day went to her Recycle Bin to recover them, and they weren't there. Verified that a user-level login gets a deletion warning dialog as opposed to a 'send to the Recycle Bin' dialog, and any selected files/shortcuts are deleted (which she did); but when an admin login does the same thing, the Recycle Bin works as advertised.

So, Recycle Bin works for admins but not users. The complaining user's data is gone, obviously, but I can't find a GPO reason for the Recycle Bin not working for users. The Policy entry in the user's OU which can turn off the Recycle Bin function has been changed from 'Not Configured' to 'disable' to force the use of the Bin, but still no joy. RSOP shows there's nothing preventing the use, but it won't work.

Searches thru Google, etc., haven't been helpful. Some blogs state that using the Recycle Bin coupled with network shares is a no-go by design, but I can't find anything at M-Soft to back that up.

All inputs appreciated.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Re: Recycle Bin vs Folder Redirection

Cant give a reference but it is "well known" that the recycle bin only works with files deleted from local drives using Windows (i.e. not network drives and not via command prompt). Used as a sales point by 3rd party replacements e.g. ExecSoft Undelete

I don't think this is really helpin your problem though...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The issue is caused because the Recycle Bin is part of the My Documents folder structure (at least it is when you use roaming profiles and folder redirection of My Documents) and as Ossian has stated network deletes don't go to the Recycle Bin. Both the user profile (including the Desktop folder) and My Documents folder are located on network shares and therefore bypass the Recycle Bin for file\folder deletions. I've see this all the time in my TS 2003 environment where we also use roaming profiles and My Documents redirection. The solution for us was to install UnDelete on the server where the network shares are. UnDelete catches the deletions from the server side of things since the files actually reside on the server.

http://www.diskeeper.com/undelete/undelete.aspx

Comment

Many thanks to both replies. Didn't realise this limitation before (I don't use the Recycle bin myself, never saw the need). And since this isn't a commercial network, approval for some 3rd party software like UnDelete won't come quickly. Users will just have to adjust, and take responsibility.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
          X