Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start the Telnet service via GPO in server 2008R2

Hi all,

I was looking on my server 2008R2 in the GPO for the option to start the Telnet service for all computers in the office. I need to set it up on automatic etc...

But when I looked in the GPO I couldn't find the Telnet service.

This is what I did:

Open the GPO -> Computer configuration -> Preferences -> Control Panel Settings -> Services
    Then I right click and New -> Service. In the New Service Properties windows in the Service name section I wasn't able to see the Telnet service.

Is it possible to set the Telnet service via GPO and if yes can you please point me to the right place.

I am running server 2008R2 and all machines are XP SP3

Thank you very much for your help.

Avi

Re: Start the Telnet service via GPO in server 2008R2

Go to: Computer Configuration>Policies>Windows Settings>Security Settings>System Services and set it there. The Telnet service needs to be installed on the server that you're editing the GPO from.

Comment

Hi joeqwerty,

Thank you for your time.

As to installing the Telnet service can you help me with that, I am looking on Google but there is nothing coming for server 2008R2.

Again I really appreciate your help.

Thank you
      Avi

Comment

Hi joeqwerty,

Just ignore my question on how to install a service on the server.
        It was a moment of brain freeze

Thanks again for your help.

Avi

Comment

hi joeqwerty,

The path you suggeted " Computer Configuration>Policies>Windows Settings>Security Settings>System Services" for setting the service will it work on the server only or on all the desktop in my OU where the GPO sits?

Thank you for your help
          Avi

Comment

hi all,

All is done.

Using the help from joeqwerty I set the Telnet service to Automatic and with a simple batch file I start the service this way each time a user logon the service will have be set on Automatic via GPO and it will start by the scripts.

Thank you again
            Avi

Comment

It will work on any computer that's in the GPO path (in the OU where you link the GPO), with a few exceptions:

1. If the telnet service is not installed on the computer, the setting will have no effect.

2. You can use security filtering or WMI filtering on the GPO to make it apply to only specific computers.

Comment

Hi,

All is good GPO all done and the wmi was a great idea.

Thank you for your help

Avi

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    It will work on any computer that's in the GPO path (in the OU where you link the GPO), with a few exceptions:

1. If the telnet service is not installed on the computer, the setting will have no effect.

2. You can use security filtering or WMI filtering on the GPO to make it apply to only specific computers.
                    (WMI filtering can slow down the logon process, you can use it when using "Security Settings>System Services". Since you are using a script, maybe there is also an option to use checks and conditional statements in the batch or vbscript)
                    3. NOTE, the user needs to be member of the local Administrators group to be able to configure the service. So it would be better to use a computer startup script for this instead of a user logon script.

btw, What OS is installed on the clients? In the Powershell forums you was looking for a powershell solution.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Hi Rem,

The OS on clients = XP SP3.
                      It is working nicely with the suggestions from joeqwerty.
                      But I am always looking for way to learn so first thank you for your help, second if you have a new way or any idea please let me know.

I did try the powershell but it will only work on windows 7.

Again thank you
                      Avi

Comment

Working...
                      X