Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPO to "Adjust for best performance" for XP clients?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO to "Adjust for best performance" for XP clients?

Hi all,

A great deal of my PCs on the network are older, so I'd like to make them as optimal as possible for performance.

Is there any way to set a GPO in AD that will force Windows XP clients to "adjust for best performance"? (i.e right click my computer
    > properties > Advanced > Performance Settings > Adjust for best performance

Don't know if it's possible to do this via domain GPO, but if it is, I'll be damned if I can figure it out!

TIA!

Chris

Re: GPO to "Adjust for best performance" for XP clients?

Hi again,

Anyone, please? Is this even possible? Would be great if it were.

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

Re: GPO to "Adjust for best performance" for XP clients?

I do not believe that this is a setting that's configurable using the default XP policy templates.

Just for fun I took a before and after Regshot. It's copied below for what it's worth... the first setting is appearance and the second one is performance. Setting are definitely profile specific.

You could probably easily set this up using preferences if you have the group policy preference extensions installed.

I think that "HKEY_USERS\<SID>\" equates to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

REGSHOT LOG 1.61e5
      Comments:
      Datetime:2010/8/24 20:29:14 , 2010/8/24 20:29:25
      Computer: my crappy work laptop
      Username: me

----------------------------------
      Values modified:11
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\DragFullWindows: "1"
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\DragFullWindows: "0"

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\FontSmoothing: "2"
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\FontSmoothing: "0"

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask: 9E 3E 05 80
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\UserPreferencesMask: 90 12 01 80

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\MinAnimate: "1"
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\MinAnimate: "0"

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\ShellState: 24 00 00 00 33 A8 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\ShellState: 24 00 00 00 33 88 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 0D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\WebView: 0x00000001
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\WebView: 0x00000000

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ListviewAlphaSelect: 0x00000001
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>1\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ListviewAlphaSelect: 0x00000000

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ListviewShadow: 0x00000001
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ListviewShadow: 0x00000000

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ListviewWatermark: 0x00000001
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ListviewWatermark: 0x00000000

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarAnimations: 0x00000001
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\Advanced\TaskbarAnimations: 0x00000000

HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\VisualFXSetting: 0x00000001
      HKEY_USERS\<SID>\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curren tVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\VisualFXSetting: 0x00000002

Total changes:11

Comment

Re: GPO to &quot;Adjust for best performance&quot; for XP clients?

Neat stuff. When I get time to play with all this manual stuff, I will certainly do so. Thanks!

Chris

Comment

Hi WorldBuilder, what is your definition of an "older PC" and what are their specs?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hiya Biggles,

8 years old, early Pentium 4 class, most with 512MB Ram, 1GB on rare occasions... And loaded with "crap" that, unfortunately, actually needs to be there...

Most or all will be replaced next year, I'm just tryin' to make 'em run as well as possible until then. But then again, it's not Earth-shatteringly critical. If it can be done easily, great. If not, no worries.

Chris

Comment

Possibly a clean out of all the temp and IE temp files and then a defrag would help. I would bet that the IE cache settings are the default ones that take a percentage of the HDD. I have seen very few techs actually change them and if you have an 8 year old drive you could have several hundred thousand files sitting there. Deleting them will really help the defrag take less time.

Have a look in the Scripting Forum for scripts to delete these files. They can be run as a GPO as too can the defrag.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X