add 3rd party service to system services GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add 3rd party service to system services GPO

Hi I would like to disable couple of third party services through Domain GPO on domain computers.
    So the question is what will be the proper way to add the service in question to system services GPO under:
    Comp CONF\Windows settings\security settings\System services.
    I need probably to "export" the service from a workstation with the needed service and then "import" it to one of domain controllers.
    How it could be achieved?
    Thx.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Could you install group policy management on a computer with the services on it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The services (3) I want to disable are Skype for Business and are running on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines with Office 2013.
      As known Skype for Business is Microsoft Lync. We don't use Exchange, so Skype for Business will be never used for any purpose.

Sure I can run GPM on local machine. What is next>
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

How about using Group Policy Preferences (GPP) to set a reg key? Have a look at this page found thru our old buddy and see if that won't sort you out:
        http://mstechtalk.com/enable-disable...siness-client/

There are expanded ADMX GP template files available from MS specifically for Skype-for-Business, but they don't appear to simply turn the whole thing off. This reg key looks like it may do what you want. But if you want to simply kill the service, then it is simple to install the Group Policy tools on a client which has the Skype service running, then go into the Computer Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings - Security Settings - System Services. Your Skype service will show up in the list, just double-click on it and select 'Disable'. When you close the tool, the change should be written to the DC, and when you refresh the policy on a PC you should find the service is disabled.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
          How about using Group Policy Preferences (GPP) to set a reg key?
          There are expanded ADMX GP template files available from MS specifically for Skype-for-Business, but they don't appear to simply turn the whole thing off.

> I tested it. Yes it prevents users from starting Skype for Biz.

But if you want to simply kill the service, then it is simple to install the Group Policy tools on a client which has the Skype service running, then go into the Computer Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings - Security Settings - System Services. Your Skype service will show up in the list, just double-click on it and select 'Disable'. When you close the tool, the change should be written to the DC, and when you refresh the policy on a PC you should find the service is disabled.
          > what is your's "Group Policy tools". GPMC?

By what magic disabling the service on the client, this service "should be written to the DC?

Comment

To clarify my original post, expanded on by Rickles

If you install GPMC on a client (use RSAT) and edit the policy there, the list of services will be pulled from those on the client. When you change the service in the GPO and save it, the registry key for that service will be picked up from the local client, even though the service doesn't exist on the DC
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for advice. It is clear now. I still did not try it. The question became not urgent.
              ​But sure I will need the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X