drive mapping and permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive mapping and permissions

Having created a new share and used GP to map a drive (using share because full UNC did not work), I'm not trying to fathom out the best way to achieve the following. By default the share folder advanced sharing permissions has everyone set to 'Read', which does work (fat lot of good that is!)

So before I send myself mad with the crappy workings of Microsoft's file sharing I thought I'd ask you guys on here. I've had a look at other shares but they are configured full access for groups which is not what I want.

What I'm attempting to achieve is this

1. Top level folder is mapped and everyone can see the folders within it but not create data anywhere in the top level folder
    2. All folders within top level folders have permissions assigned to a group which will have full access/modify.

Thanks

Hello,

I spent lot of times to achieve this . Yes you can do it but need to exactly understand how permissions works.

Do the following

BE CAREFUL WHERE APPLY THE PERMISSIONS

FOR TOP LEVEL FOLDER
    Apply to : This folder only

List folder/ read Data

Apply to Subfolders and Files

Give full permissions

(I recommend not give permissions Change permissions, Take ownership).

FOR ALL THE OTHER FOLDERS

Apply to : This folder only

List folder/ read Data
    Create files/write data
    Create folders/Append data

Apply to Subfolders and Files
    Give full permissions

(I recommend not give permissions Change permissions, Take ownership).

Thank you, Tzouvaras Kostas -------- On the Web My Blog Google+ Google+ Page

Comment

It's a red herring.

Set the Share permissions to Full Control. Next, set the Folder permissions to what you require.

I do this for all the shares and then specify what is actually needed for the folder(s) whether that be read only, modify, full control etc., and it works.

But! Why won't the UNC path work? Have you looked into this?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
        It's a red herring.

Set the Share permissions to Full Control. Next, set the Folder permissions to what you require.

I do this for all the shares and then specify what is actually needed for the folder(s) whether that be read only, modify, full control etc., and it works.

But! Why won't the UNC path work? Have you looked into this?
        So the folder permissions on the subfolders of the share?

Comment

Ok, I set the permissions under 'advanced sharing' for a test user for full, change and read to allow. Then set the permissions for this test use on a sub folder and I could not access the share when logged in as them. I can see the mapped drive but cannot access it.

Comment

In advance sharing must set permissions for a group or user to Read/Write. If add read permissions can't access the share folder. All the above that i wrote for the permissions are for advance permissions.

Be care full you must set 2 level of permissions as i wrote. One for the share folder and one for the 2 level of subfolder.

I use it and works fine.

Comment

Right-click the folder you wish to share and choose Properties
              Select the Sharing tab, then click the Advanced Sharing button
              Tick 'Share this folder' and click the Permissions button
              Add the users/groups and set to Full Control
              Click OK twice

Select the Security tab
              Click the Advanced button, then the Edit button
              Un-tick 'Include inheritable permissions...' and choose Add or Copy depending on the OS and click OK
              Click the Edit button on the Sharing tab and assign permissions to the same users/groups as required (Read, Read and execute, List folder contents)
              Click OK, Close

I suspect that the inheritable permissions may be restricting access - so long as you re-set the Security Permissions you should be OK.

Comment

Thanks, I was trying to set them on the folder security below the share but suspect the inherited permissions weren't coming through. Luckily this is a test area for a later plan so not too worried about messing things up. One little bit you missed was after Edit, select 'change permissions' but thanks again.

Comment

Cool, and thanks for the clarification

Comment

Sorry my friend but to provide this type of structure you must know exactly where you must go and give this permissions. If you don't have this experience then start with more simple steps to clear understand what actually doing where give permissions in share folder and what happened when give permissions in security and what is inheritance.

I have give you solution in the plate and you can't implemented?

Thank you, Tzouvaras Kostas
                    On the Web My Blog Google+ Google+ Page

Comment

Originally posted by ktzouv View Post
                      Sorry my friend but to provide this type of structure you must know exactly where you must go and give this permissions. If you don't have this experience then start with more simple steps to clear understand what actually doing where give permissions in share folder and what happened when give permissions in security and what is inheritance.

I have give you solution in the plate and you can't implemented?

Thank you, Tzouvaras Kostas
                      Thanks for your overview but what Blood provided was a clearer and it worked. I've performed permission changes on numerous occasions yet this time it was not working and neither did your suggestion. Your solution may well have worked for you, it didn't us, no hard feelings.

Comment

I know I'm late but I'm just catching up on items here after being away for awhile.
                        Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
                        1. Top level folder is mapped and everyone can see the folders within it but not create data anywhere in the top level folder
                        2. All folders within top level folders have permissions assigned to a group which will have full access/modify.
                        To meet those requirements, you should follow ktzouv's instructions in this post: https://www.petri.com/forums/forum/m...768#post494768
                        But you also needed Blood's recommendation to set the share permissions to full controll. (this allows you to control permissions using NTFS and not worry about having complex permission conflicts from the share permissions)

The one thing I would note is that ktzouy's instructions need to be implemented from the Security tab -> Advanced which may not have been evident. If you didn't follow ktzouy's instructions they your are not meeting your stated requirements. Let us know if you're requirements have changed.

Thanks,
                        Jeremy
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you JeremyW.

Tzouvaras Kostas

Comment