No announcement yet.

GPO - My Computer, My Documents Icons.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO - My Computer, My Documents Icons.

Whilst it seems stupidly easy, I'm struggling to find a GPO to put these icons on the desktop for domain users by default. Rather than having to manually add them for every user of the computer.

My Computer
    My Documents
    Internet Explorer
    Recycle Bin
    My Network Places (Possibly rename this to

Can someone provide a script or something they've used to accomplish this in the past? Clients are mainly XP but would be good if the script was intelligent enough to detect different clients (Vista/7) and act accordingly.

Re: GPO - My Computer, My Documents Icons.

Moved to GPO forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

It's odd that there are GPO's supplied to remove these desktop icons but there isn't a GPO to add them. However I think you can accomplish this by some registry modification.

The HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewstartPanel registry key may contain several GUID type DWORD values that you can modify to add these to the desktop. The values are:

{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} = My Computer
      {450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103} = My Documents
      {208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D} = My Network Places
      {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} = Internet Explorer
      {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E} = Recycle Bin

If the DWORD value isn't there, you'd need to create it. If it is there, you just need to set it to 1 to add the icon and 0 to remove it. If it were me, I would use Group Policy Preferences to set these.

While I forget which setting exactly it is, you can do this with GP. If the setting is to remove the icons, then disable the setting.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.