Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clear group policies

hi all,

Just want to thanks in advanced for your time and help.

I am running server 2008R2 and XP SP3 on the client. It is a domain of course.

I wish to remove and start over with group policies in the domain becasue I have seen some policies that I setup on the OU and they are not getting to the users or the computers.

Is there away to remove all group policies related to an OU and make sure it has been removed from the computers.?

What will be the best way to do that?

Thanks
    Avi

Re: how to clear group policies

Best thing to do would be to go back and remove the settings you added and allow those changes to propogate then after say a week remove the policy from the system.

Just removing the GPO will NOT reset the settings. (Not as far as i'm aware anyway)

Comment

Hi wullieb1

Thank you for your time and help.
      I am really not sure as to what is going on.
      I run on one of the laptops gpresult /v and saw some really old settings in the registry.
      When browsing to in the location of those settings on the GPO the settings are not there.
      Not sure what is going on!!!

For example: The my doc folder in the registry shows \\servername\username$\
      Where the new settings should be \\servername\users\username

There are a number of laptops which don't get the policies at all and they are in the OU.
      I had a message coming on the screen at logon for testing; some of the laptops didn't receive the "welcome" message. Only after I did change the GPO on the local machines the message came up.

Now I have removed the message from the GPO and those laptops are still getting them I have to go to each laptop and change the settings on the local polices.
      This is not a complex network. I have all the users setting in one GPO and all the laptops setting in another GPO.
      Still trying to understand what is going on and need to find away to reset some of the laptops to receive polices from the AD.
      Thanks
      Avi

Comment

Consider a machine rebuild as the quickest "least administrative effort" option -- all the legacy c**p will be removed in one go
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Ossian rebuild is not an option - too many machines to rebuild.

Still ??????

Thanks
          Avi

Comment

How many are we talking about?
            WDS is a very viable solution

Your other option is to force a policy on them that undoes any settings they may have, then move them into the scope of your current group policies. Depending on how many policy settings you have to
            a) find and
            b) undo
            the time to create a reference image and set up the WDS infrastructure may be shorter
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi Ossian,

Again thank you for your help.
              We are talking about 15 laptops. As users unable to do their job without the laptops it is impossible to take it "just becasue I want to fix the gp". From a business case it is not a good enough reasone.
              Also each laptop will have some differnet software. we are using office oem which mean that on each laptop the installation of office will have to take place -- too long.

i like the option of moving those laptop to a new OU - I will check the GP coming from the domain and force them then I will recreate the GPO which will take 5 min - I don't have a lot of policies the main one is to control IE, Office settings and some basic settings nothing really.

Can you please give me a little more information on what you wrote
              "Your other option is to force a policy on them that undoes any settings they may have, then move them into the scope of your current group policies. Depending on how many policy settings you have to
              a) find and
              b) undo"

Again thank you

Avi

Comment

As i said i still think changing the relevant settings in the GPO to the required settings will reset them for you.

This should mean no rebuild or downtime for users.

I think what Tom is refering to is you trawling your GPO's to find the changes that have been made then make changes that reverse the settings

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  As i said i still think changing the relevant settings in the GPO to the required settings will reset them for you.

This should mean no rebuild or downtime for users.

I think what Tom is refering to is you trawling your GPO's to find the changes that have been made then make changes that reverse the settings
                  Hi wullieb1

Thank you for the replay. I am going to try and do this.

Will let you all know how did I go

Thanks
                  Avi

Comment

hi all,

Ok I made some chagnes and force them on one of the laptop and it seems that some of the polices are working.

on the desktop GPO under User Configuration-> policies -> adm Template -> desktop I removed the Recycle Bin icon from the desktop.

I run on the laptop gpupdate /force and it worked but the user is still receiving a welcome message that no one else receive this welcome window and message when we rebooted the machine after the gpupdate /force. The Welcome window and teh message were removed from the GPO and no other laptop or user getting this message.

Any ideas?

Again thank you all for your help

Thanks
                    Avi

Comment

Have you used RSoP to investigate where policies are coming from?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Funny that you just post that: the answer is:
                        No I didn't, I never used the tool before if you have any links that can help on how to use the tool it will be great.
                        BUT that is exactly what I need and wanted to know how do to:
                        I did another change on the laptop OU which is the one that being forced (when you right click on the GPO the enforced is ticked) I have change the name of the guest account and I forced my laptop. I then browsed to the local group polices using the gpedit and saw that the guest account has been change but now the policy: “Message title for users attempting to log on” has a value of Welcome.
                        I have change this about week ago and removed the welcome message and the message itself.

I have only three GPO and all of them showing the settings for the message and the windows title as not configured each of the GPO is set up on a different OU and only one of the GPO being forced.

Can settings of another laptop affect local group policy affect the settings of a OU GPO?
                        Any link as to how to use/ install the RSop on the server 2008R2 or a laptop XP SP3 will be great.

Again thank you all for your help and I will keep you all up to date as I go.

Thanks
                        Avi

Comment

Hi all,

I have run the Rosp on my laptop and it seems to have some problems.
                          Anyone knows what the symbol means; on the head symbol in User Configuration there is a yellow triangle with the “!” Sign inside, anyone has ideas?

Again thanks you for your time.

Thanks

Comment

Hi all,

Another upate.
                            I found the policy that will not work: Folder Redirection.
                            I run the Group Policy Results on the Group Policy Management (GPM) and I have an error under folder redirection.
                            “The directory name is invalid.”

It was setup with the following settings: \\server\users
                            And users’ home share will be created at the root of the folder.

Why does it say "The directory name is invalid"?

Is it the name itself "users" or is it the path, permissions etc, any ideas?

Again thank you for your time ( we are getting to the solution)
                            Avi

Comment

Originally posted by Avi View Post
                              Hi all,

I have run the Rosp on my laptop and it seems to have some problems.
                              Anyone knows what the symbol means; on the head symbol in User Configuration there is a yellow triangle with the “!” Sign inside, anyone has ideas?

Again thanks you for your time.

Thanks
                              If it is over the User configuration area, I believe it means those settings are disabled.

Another way of looking at the GPOs applying is by using this command in the command prompt.

gpresult /v >GroupPolicy.txt

Review whether a user can connect to the location specified in the policy by pasting the link into a drive mapping or using the run to connect to the UNC path.

Comment

Working...
                              X