No announcement yet.

Group Policy password change

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy password change

Hi All,

sorry if this has been asked many times but i cant seem to find a definite answer,

i am just about to implement a password policy and screensaver lockout for the company, hasn't had one as it upset some individuals lol

but what im unsure of is how far it reaches and what can be excluded

i know it will be applied at domain level and filter down through the OU's

we have some accounts which have been used to configure and run services in sharepoint,SQL etc, i dont want these passwords to change at all , until i can figure out what is being used and how to change them.

if i was to tick the "password never expires" option in the AD account for the users , will this stop the password policy being applied so to speak

ie the password never expires so then wont have the policy applied as such

i need to ensure the accounts dont expire or timeout ??

we are on a server 2003 domain, and XP workstation

all the accounts are in AD.

i have done this previous on server 2008 from there i could apply seperate password policy..but this is not available in 2003

any help or advise would be helpfull

Re: Group Policy password change

"Password never Expires" on a user account beats all group policy applied settings - you will have no problems
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Group Policy password change

thanks for that ossian , can nowe roll it out with a bit more confidence lol