Stupid question which I should know the answer too

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question which I should know the answer too

HI thanks in advance for helping a simpleton.

I know this question must of been asked before but my forum searches dont seem to find anything pertinent.

My dumb question is this....

If deploying a software to a "user" rather than a computer, does it install on the users access level? I mean if i needed local admin rights to install a VPN piece of software on the users who need it, generally speaking will I need to mess around with registry access levels or should it install ok without admin rights?

I'd go ahead and test this myself, but I haven't got access to the software yet, so need to plan timescales etc prior to actually being able to test/implement it.

Thanks
    D

Re: Stupid question which I should know the answer too

I thought if you did software installation on a user level, it put a icon to install the software, if/when the user chooses, but I also blieve that the user ends up installing the software, therefor, it would use there user rights.

But here is a link to more infomation, http://www.tech-faq.com/deploying-so...up-policy.html

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Armster
      If deploying a software to a "user" rather than a computer, does it install on the users access level?
      That is going to depend on where the software installs to. If it wants to put files or folders in Program Files or Windows (look at the permissions in the Security Tab) then it is not going to work with User Permissions.

I am assuming Windows XP since you haven't mentioned an operating system. Windows 7 (or Vista) will be different as you may have the UAC to deal with.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry I should of mentioned that , yes its windows XP across 98% of the domain.

The software I presume will install like the previous version as in Program Files/Program/

If this is the case and generally speaking the user will need higher rights over the relevant parts of the folder structure and possibly the registry, if you have software deployment and computer startup scripts in the same GPO, which is executed first? the software install or the script?

Comment

Working...
        X